Monetary equilibria in a cash-in-advance economy with incomplete financial markets
AbstractThe general equilibrium model with incomplete financial markets (GEI) is extended by adding fiat money, fiscal and monetary policy and a cash-in-advance constraint. The central bank either pegs the interest rate or money supply while the fiscal authority sets a Ricardian or a non-Ricardian fiscal plan. We prove the existence of equilibria in all four scenarios. In Ricardian economies, the conditions required for existence are not more restrictive than in standard GEI. In non-Ricardian economies, the sufficient conditions for existence are more demanding. In the Ricardian economy, neither the price level nor the equivalent martingale measure is determinate. Classification-JEL Codes: D52; E40; E50
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 42 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4-5 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Other versions of this item:
- Jinhui H. Bai & Ingolf Schwarz, 2006. "Monetary Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy with Incomplete Financial Markets," Working Papers gueconwpa~06-06-05, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Ingolf Schwarz & Jinhui H. Bai, 2005. "Monetary Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy with Incomplete Financial Markets," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2005_18, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Jinhui H. Bai & Ingolf Schwarz, 2005. "Monetary Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy with Incomplete Financial Markets," JEPS Working Papers 05-005, JEPS.
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubey, Pradeep & Geanakoplos, John, 2003. "Monetary equilibrium with missing markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 585-618, July.
- Gaetano Bloise & Jacques Dréze & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2005.
"Monetary equilibria over an infinite horizon,"
Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 51-74, 01.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2003. "Inside and outside fiat money, gains to trade, and IS-LM," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 347-397, 03.
- Duffie, Darrell & Shafer, Wayne, 1985. "Equilibrium in incomplete markets: I : A basic model of generic existence," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 285-300, June.
- David Cass, 2006.
"Competitive Equilibrium with Incomplete Financial Markets,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
06-010, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Cass, David, 2006. "Competitive equilibrium with incomplete financial markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 384-405, August.
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 2000.
CORE Discussion Papers
2000044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1985. "Money and Asset Prices in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 919-44, October.
- Woodford, Michael, 1995.
"Price-level determinacy without control of a monetary aggregate,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-46, December.
- Michael Woodford, 1995. "Price Level Determinacy Without Control of a Monetary Aggregate," NBER Working Papers 5204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pascal Gourdel & Leila Triki, 2005.
"Incomplete markets and monetary policy,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b05024, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Pascal Gourdel & Leila Triki, 2005. "Incomplete markets and monetary policy," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00193970, HAL.
- Michael Woodford, 2001.
"Fiscal Requirements for Price Stability,"
NBER Working Papers
8072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:louvco:0044 is not listed on IDEAS
- Werner, Jan, 1985. "Equilibrium in economies with incomplete financial markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 110-119, June.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2003. "Monetary Equilibrium with Missing Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1389, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gaetano Bloise, 2006. "A note on the existence of a monetary equilibrium over an infinite horizon," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 59-77, 01.
- Woodford, Michael, 1994. "Monetary Policy and Price Level Determinacy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 345-80.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2006. "Determinacy with nominal assets and outside money," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 79-106, 01.
- Gaetano Bloise & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2006. "Theory and practice of monetary policy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 1-23, 01.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David, 1989. "The Structure of Financial Equilibrium with Exogenous Yields: The Case of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 135-62, January.
- Tomoyuki Nakajima & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2005. "Money and Prices Under Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 223-246.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Isabel Schnabel, 2006.
"The Threat of Capital Drain: A Rationale for Public Banks?,"
Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods
2006_11, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Schnabel, Isabel, 2006. "The Threat of Capital Drain: A Rationale for Public Banks?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 107, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.