Is the European shipping industry aware of corporate social responsibility? The case of the Greek-owned short sea shipping companies
AbstractThis paper attempts to clarify the meaning of corporate social responsibility (CSR) in the context of the European maritime sector and examines its application in the case of the Greek-owned short sea shipping companies. CSR is assessed in terms of a number of variables such as employees' satisfaction, corporate productivity and efficiency, social welfare, awareness and social accountability of managers and directors, et al. Focus is given on the applicability of CSR to shipping companies of small and medium size. For this purpose a survey has been conducted. Based on the findings of the qualitative research performed, it is concluded that the application of CSR is restricted only to companies that either are subsidiaries of international conglomerates or owned by ship-owners personally aware of the corporate benefits derived from social responsible behaviour . Based on improved knowledge of managers' and directors' attitudes and views towards CSR solutions, the paper offers some ways forward for policy informing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Marine Policy.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/marpol
Corporate social responsibility Responsible business behaviour Short and medium size firms in shipping;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Metaxas, Theodore & Tsavdaridou, Maria, 2013. "CSR in metallurgy sector in Greece: A content analysis," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 295-309.
- Tomáš KLIEŠTIK & Katarína VALÁŠKOVÁ, 2013. "Models Of Capital Costs Quantification," Journal of Advanced Research in Management, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 5-19, July.
- Theodore METAXAS & Maria TSAVDARIDOU, 2013.
"Corporate Social Responsibility In Greece During The Crisis Period,"
Journal of Advanced Research in Management,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 20-34, July.
- Metaxas, Theodore & Tsavdaridou, Maria, 2012. "Corporate social responsibility in Greece during the crisis period," MPRA Paper 41518, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Theofanis Karagiorgos, 2010. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance: An Empirical Analysis on Greek Companies," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(4), pages 85-108.
- Metaxas, Theodore & Tsavdaridou, Maria, 2012. "Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) on Metallurgy Sector in Greece," MPRA Paper 42789, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.