Recreational benefits of coastal protection: a case study
AbstractIn the UK, cost-benefit analysis of coastal protection schemes that expect to receive grant assistance is required by H.M. Government. A recommended procedure for evaluating the recreational benefits of coastal protection is based on a variant of contingent valuation methodology (CVM), and involves the estimation of the gains and losses in the value of enjoyment by beach users associated with different project scenarios (including the option of allowing erosion to occur). The paper reports the results of a study which applies this approach to coastal protection at an important UK seaside resort. It focusses on the suitability of the value of enjoyment (VOE) elicitation method, and stresses the need to test the validity of the results from all such studies that apply this approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Marine Policy.
Volume (Year): 23 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4-5 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/marpol
Coastal protection Recreational benefit assessment Cost-benefit analysis Contingent valuation;
Other versions of this item:
- Whitmarsh, D. & Northen, J. & Jaffry, S., 1997. "Recreational benefits of coastal protection: a case study," Discussion Papers 127., Centre for the Economics and Management of Aquatic Resources.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bénédicte Rulleau & Jeoffrey Dehez & Patrick Point, 2011. "The tourist recreational demand for coastal forests: Do forests really matter?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 92(3), pages 291-310.
- Halkos, George, 2011. "Economic valuation of coastal zone quality improvements," MPRA Paper 35395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anil Markandya & S. Arnold & M. Cassinelli & T. Taylor, 2009. "Coastal Zone Management in the Mediterranean: Legal and Economic Perspectives," Working Papers 2009.71, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Halkos, George & Matsiori, Steriani, 2012. "Determinants of willingness to pay for coastal zone quality improvement," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 391-399.
- Wilson, Amanda, 2010. "Coastal planning in North Shore City, New Zealand: Developing responsible coastal erosion policy," 2010 Conference (54th), February 10-12, 2010, Adelaide, Australia 59260, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.