Marine protected areas: emerging economics
AbstractEnvironmental economics provides one perspective on managing multiple and alternative uses of marine areas. Recent work is identified to suggest substantive research that can better focus benefit-cost analyses on issues specific to marine protected areas. Issues discussed include: the conditions for limited use of an area, determinants of the size of a protected area including species diversity, whether access restrictions can be politically supportable, the role of links between habitat types, and the importance of passive use value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Marine Policy.
Volume (Year): 20 (1996)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/marpol
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Imeson, R.J. & van den Bergh, J.C.J.M., 2006. "Policy failure and stakeholder dissatisfaction in complex ecosystem management: The case of the Dutch Wadden Sea shellfishery," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 488-507, April.
- Tom Kompas & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004.
"Uncertainty and the Active Adaptive Management of Marine Reserves,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec04-2, International and Development Economics.
- Grafton, R. Quentin & Kompas, Tom, 2005. "Uncertainty and the active adaptive management of marine reserves," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 471-479, September.
- Sanchirico, James N., 2005. "Additivity properties in metapopulation models: implications for the assessment of marine reserves," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Sanchirico, James & Wilen, James, 2000. "The Impacts of Marine Reserves on Limited-Entry Fisheries," Discussion Papers dp-00-34, Resources For the Future.
- Sanchirico, James, 2000. "Marine Protected Areas as Fishery Policy: A Discussion of the Potential Costs and Benefits," Discussion Papers dp-00-23-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Sanchirico, James & Cochran, Kathryn & Emerson , Peter, 2002. "Marine Protected Areas: Economic and Social Implications," Discussion Papers dp-02-26, Resources For the Future.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.