Electricity reform in Romania
AbstractRomania is a net exporter of electricity to the SE Europe region. Its performance of this role will increase in importance with (a) the completion of another nuclear generator and (b) improvement in capacity for international transmission. Romania has committed itself to an electricity restructuring plan that includes vertical separation, but plans remain uncertain regarding the horizontal restructuring of generation. Among the more important issues yet to be decided are (a) how hydro capacity will be allocated - it has more than 1/4 of capacity and enjoys low costs - and (b) how many thermal generation enterprises will be created, and with what assets. With more than 1/2 of the thermal capacity accounted for by CHP plants and with a winter demand peak for the foreseeable future, there is a real danger of inflexibility and a lack of competitiveness in a liberalized wholesale electricity market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Utilities Policy.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30478
Electricity Restructuring Competition Romania;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newbery, David M., 2004. "Regulation and competition policy: longer-term boundaries," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 93-95, June.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James, 1999.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 285-323, September.
- Severin Borenstein & James Bushnell, 1998. "An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry," NBER Working Papers 6463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2001.
"California's Electricity Crisis,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 365-388.
- Scott Atkinson & Claudia Halabí, 2005. "Economic Efficiency and Productivity Growth in the Post-Privatization Chilean Hydroelectric Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 245-273, 05.
- Carl Blumstein & Lee Friedman & Richard Green, 2002. "The History of Electricity Restructuring in California," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 9-38, June.
- Pittman, Russell, 2007. "Restructuring the Russian electricity sector: Re-creating California?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1872-1883, March.
- Hogan, William W, 2002. "Electricity Market Restructuring: Reforms of Reforms," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 103-32, January.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011.
"The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: a cross country panel data analysis,"
28414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011. "The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: A cross country panel data analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1080-1092, March.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2010. "Electricity Market Reform: Lessons for developing countries," MPRA Paper 27317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haar, Laura N. & Marinescu, Nicolae, 2011. "Energy policy and European utilities' strategy: Lessons from the liberalisation and privatisation of the energy sector in Romania," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2245-2255, May.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bianco, Vincenzo & Manca, Oronzio & Nardini, Sergio & Minea, Alina A., 2010. "Analysis and forecasting of nonresidential electricity consumption in Romania," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 3584-3590, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.