Inflation targeting and the exchange rate: Does it matter in Turkey?
AbstractThis paper investigates the monetary policy reaction functions of the Central Bank of Republic of Turkey (CBRT) over the periods 1987:01-2001:12 and 2002:01-2009:05. We specifically attempt to shed light on question to what extent exchange rate developments still continue to influence monetary policy, even under inflation targeting. This study seeks to investigate how the monetary policy responded to the exchange rate shocks before and after adoption of inflation targeting regime. How large the effect of exchange rate shocks is accounted for in forecast error variances decompositions for monetary policy as compared to other shocks? Using the VAR model, this study shows that there has been strong pass-through during whole period. Moreover, in the postcrisis period, exchange rate has been the main reaction variable for the CBRT.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Inflation targeting Exchange rates Taylor rule Turkey Monetary policy Reaction function;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998.
"Open-Economy Inflation Targeting,"
638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nejla Adanur Aklan & Mehmet Nargelecekenler, 2008. "Taylor Rule in Practice: Evidence from Turkey," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 156-166, May.
- Bofinger, Peter, 2001. "Monetary Policy: Goals, Institutions, Strategies, and Instruments," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248568, September.
- M. Ege Yazgan & Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2007. "Monetary policy rules in practice: evidence from Turkey and Israel," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 1-8.
- Vuslat Us, 2007. "Alternative Monetary Policy Rules in the Turkish Economy Under an Inflation-Targeting Framework," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(2), pages 82-101, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hakan Berument & Kamuran Malatyali, 2000. "The implicit reaction function of the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(7), pages 425-430.
- Hakan Berument & Hakan Tasci, 2003.
"Monetary Policy Rules in Practice : Evidence from Turkey,"
Departmental Working Papers
0305, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Hakan Berument & Hakan Taş�i, 2004. "Monetary policy rules in practice: evidence from Turkey," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 33-38.
- repec:fth:bfdipa:11/2000 is not listed on IDEAS
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Us, Vuslat, 2004. "Inflation dynamics and monetary policy strategy: some prospects for the Turkish economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(8-9), pages 1003-1013, December.
- Mayes, David G & Virén, Matti, 2000.
"Asymmetry and the Problem of Aggregation in the Euro Area,"
Research Discussion Papers
11/2000, Bank of Finland.
- David Mayes & Matti Viren, 2002. "Asymmetry and the Problem of Aggregation in the Euro Area," Empirica, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 47-73, March.
- Yilmazkuday, Hakan, 2011.
"Monetary policy and credit cards: Evidence from a small open economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 201-210.
- Yilmazkuday, Hakan, 2011. "Monetary policy and credit cards: Evidence from a small open economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 201-210, January.
- Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Credit Cards: Evidence from a Small-Open Economy," DETU Working Papers 1010, Department of Economics, Temple University.
- Kaya, Huseyin, 2013. "Forecasting the yield curve and the role of macroeconomic information in Turkey," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 1-7.
- Varella Mollick, Andre & Torres, Rene Cabral & Carneiro, Francisco G., 2008.
"Does Inflation Targeting Matter for Output Growth? Evidence from Industrial and Emerging Economies,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4791, The World Bank.
- Mollick, André Varella & Cabral, René & Carneiro, Francisco G., 2011. "Does inflation targeting matter for output growth? Evidence from industrial and emerging economies," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 537-551, July.
- Beirne, John & Bijsterbosch, Martin, 2011. "Exchange rate pass-through in central and eastern European EU Member States," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 241-254, March.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2013. "Inflation Targeting and Financial Stability: A Perspective from the Developing World," Working Papers Series 324, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Kaya, Huseyin, 2013. "The yield curve and the macroeconomy: Evidence from Turkey," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 100-107.
- Abo-Zaid, Salem & Tuzemen, Didem, 2012. "Inflation Targeting: A three-decade perspective," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 621-645.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.