Restricted forecasts and economic target monitoring: An application to the Spanish Consumer Price Index
Abstracthe purpose of this paper is efficiently to incorporate into a univariate ARIMA model the information contained in alternative forecasts obtained through an expert opinion, an econometric model, or a set target. This kind of non-sample additional information can be drawn from any set of linear constraints on the future course of the series. The introduction of uncertainty about these constraints is permitted. The problem is solved obtaining the "restricted forecast" by employing the logic of Theil's mixed-estimation technique. Formulas for calculating the variance of the restricted forecasts and some inferential procedures are derived from it. The usefulness of the approach in practical situations of forecasting and planning is illustrated by an example based on CPI target monitoring, a very relevant topic in countries pursuing inflation targets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 19 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986.
"Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution,"
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983. "Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions," NBER Working Papers 1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1982. "Policy Analysis with Econometric Models," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 13(1), pages 107-164.
- Trabelsi, Abdelwahed & Hillmer, Steven C, 1989. "A Benchmarking Approach to Forecast Combination," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 353-62, July.
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.