OEM product design in a price competition with remanufactured product
AbstractAn original equipment manufacturer (OEM) produces new products and often faces a dilemma when determining the level of interchangeability in its product design. The interchangeability is considered as a degree to which the product can be disassembled without force, and thus an increasing degree of interchangeability would decrease the OEM's production cost, but it would also lower a remanufacturer's cost in cannibalizing used items. Decreasing the level of interchangeability to deter the remanufacturer, on the other hand, would simultaneously increase the production costs of the OEM. We thus formulate a two-period supply chain model consisting of two chain members, an OEM and a remanufacturer, to investigate the product design decision of the OEM and both chain members' competitive pricing strategies. We then characterize the equilibrium decisions and profits with regard to costs and consumers' preference for the remanufactured product. We also evaluate a strategic game in which the OEM chooses the degree of interchangeability, and the remanufacturer determines its collection strategy. We find that the product-design strategy is effective for the OEM in competing with the remanufacturer, but it is not necessarily harmful to the remanufacturer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Geraldo Ferrer & Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, 2006. "Managing New and Remanufactured Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 15-26, January.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Shantanu Bhattacharya & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2004. "Closed-Loop Supply Chain Models with Product Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(2), pages 239-252, February.
- Preyas Desai & Sunder Kekre & Suresh Radhakrishnan & Kannan Srinivasan, 2001. "Product Differentiation and Commonality in Design: Balancing Revenue and Cost Drivers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 37-51, January.
- Vadde, Srikanth & Zeid, Abe & Kamarthi, Sagar V., 2011. "Pricing decisions in a multi-criteria setting for product recovery facilities," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 186-193, April.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 1999. "Capacity Allocation Using Past Sales: When to Turn-and-Earn," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 685-703, May.
- Tansev Geylani & Anthony J. Dukes & Kannan Srinivasan, 2007. "Strategic Manufacturer Response to a Dominant Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(2), pages 164-178, 03-04.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2006. "Reverse Channel Design: The Case of Competing Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Atalay Atasu & Miklos Sarvary & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2008. "Remanufacturing as a Marketing Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(10), pages 1731-1746, October.
- Laurens G. Debo & L. Beril Toktay & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2005. "Market Segmentation and Product Technology Selection for Remanufacturable Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1193-1205, August.
- Manu Goyal & Serguei Netessine, 2007. "Strategic Technology Choice and Capacity Investment Under Demand Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(2), pages 192-207, February.
- Saibal Ray & Tamer Boyaci & Necati Aras, 2005. "Optimal Prices and Trade-in Rebates for Durable, Remanufacturable Products," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(3), pages 208-228, January.
- Preyas S. Desai, 2001. "Quality Segmentation in Spatial Markets: When Does Cannibalization Affect Product Line Design?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 265-283, August.
- Qu, Xiuli & Williams, Julie Ann Stuart, 2008. "An analytical model for reverse automotive production planning and pricing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(3), pages 756-767, November.
- Hua, Zhongsheng & Zhang, Xuemei & Xu, Xiaoyan, 2011. "Product design strategies in a manufacturer-retailer distribution channel," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 23-32, January.
- Teunter, Ruud H. & Flapper, Simme Douwe P., 2011. "Optimal core acquisition and remanufacturing policies under uncertain core quality fractions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 241-248, April.
- Mitra, Subrata, 2007. "Revenue management for remanufactured products," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 553-562, October.
- Franke, C. & Basdere, B. & Ciupek, M. & Seliger, S., 2006. "Remanufacturing of mobile phones--capacity, program and facility adaptation planning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 562-570, December.
- Chung, Chun-Jen & Wee, Hui-Ming, 2008. "Green-component life-cycle value on design and reverse manufacturing in semi-closed supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 528-545, June.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Wong, Christina W.Y., 2012. "Green logistics management and performance: Some empirical evidence from Chinese manufacturing exporters," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 267-282.
- Chialin Chen, 2001. "Design for the Environment: A Quality-Based Model for Green Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 250-263, February.
- S. Sajeesh & Jagmohan S. Raju, 2010. "Positioning and Pricing in a Variety Seeking Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(6), pages 949-961, June.
- Teunter, Ruud H., 2006. "Determining optimal disassembly and recovery strategies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 533-537, December.
- Kim, Kilsun & Chhajed, Dilip, 2000. "Commonality in product design: Cost saving, valuation change and cannibalization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 602-621, September.
- Ferrer, Geraldo & Swaminathan, Jayashankar M., 2010. "Managing new and differentiated remanufactured products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(2), pages 370-379, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.