Reducing the number of setups for CNC punch presses
AbstractLarge computer numerical control (CNC) punch presses are widely used for punching holes in heavy gage sheet metals. The turret of such presses has limited tool capacity, and any tool changes require dismantling the turret. Dismantling and reloading the turret generally takes several hours and is the dominant element of the total flow time for a batch of sheet metals. Reducing the turret setup time requires judicious grouping of the required tool set. We formulated an integer program to obtain the minimum number of setups. However, since the problem is nondeterministic polynomial-time hard (NP-hard), we offer three heuristics to solve the problem. We compare solutions obtained from the three heuristics with their respective optimal solutions using three simulated data sets and an industrial data set.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tang, Lixin & Zhao, Yufang, 2008. "Scheduling a single semi-continuous batching machine," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 992-1004, December.
- Gribkovskaia, Irina V. & Kovalev, Sergey & Werner, Frank, 2010. "Batching for work and rework processes on dedicated facilities to minimize the makespan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 522-527, December.
- Tang, Lixin & Wang, Gongshu, 2008. "Decision support system for the batching problems of steelmaking and continuous-casting production," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 976-991, December.
- Konak, Abdullah & Kulturel-Konak, Sadan & Azizoglu, Meral, 2008. "Minimizing the number of tool switching instants in Flexible Manufacturing Systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 298-307, December.
- Koksalan, Murat & Burak Keha, Ahmet, 2003. "Using genetic algorithms for single-machine bicriteria scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 543-556, March.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.