Rationalising inefficiency: Staff utilisation in branches of a large Canadian bank
AbstractIn this paper we consider staffing decisions in branches of a large Canadian bank. The bank has well-developed staffing models and the branches work in a highly competitive environment. One would therefore expect limited ‘inefficiency’ in the sense of wasted resources and over-staffing. Using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) we nevertheless find considerable ‘inefficiency’ which raises the question whether this is best interpreted as waste or if the apparent inefficiency may serve other purposes. To investigate this, we invoke the theoretical framework of rational inefficiency (Bogetoft and Hougaard ).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne Bertrand & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2003.
"Enjoying the Quiet Life? Corporate Governance and Managerial Preferences,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(5), pages 1043-1075, October.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Mullainathan, Sendhil, 2003. "Enjoying the Quiet Life? Corporate Governance and Managerial Preferences," Scholarly Articles 3429713, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Parish, Ross M & Ng, Yew-Kwang, 1972. "Monopoly, X-Efficiency and the Measurement of Welfare Loss," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 39(155), pages 301-08, August.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Rouatt, Stephen & Zhu, Haiyan, 2011. "Two-stage evaluation of bank branch efficiency using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Leth Hougaard, Jens, 2004.
"Super efficiency evaluations based on potential slack,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 14-21, January.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Hougaard, Jens Leth, 2000. "Super Efficiency Evaluations Based on Potential Slack," Unit of Economics Working papers 24194, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Bala, Kamel & Cook, Wade D., 2003. "Performance measurement with classification information: an enhanced additive DEA model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 439-450, December.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Schaffnit, Claire, 2004. "Commercial branch performance evaluation and results communication in a Canadian bank--a DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 719-735, August.
- Wade Cook & Moez Hababou & Hans Tuenter, 2000. "Multicomponent Efficiency Measurement and Shared Inputs in Data Envelopment Analysis: An Application to Sales and Service Performance in Bank Branches," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 209-224, November.
- Laurent Weill, 2004. "Measuring Cost Efficiency in European Banking: A Comparison of Frontier Techniques," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 133-152, March.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Jesús Pastor & José Pastor, 2002. "An Efficiency Comparison of European Banking Systems Operating under Different Environmental Conditions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 59-77, July.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Cook, Wade D. & Hababou, Moez, 2001. "Sales performance measurement in bank branches," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 299-307, August.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mette Asmild & Joseph Paradi & Vanita Aggarwall & Claire Schaffnit, 2004. "Combining DEA Window Analysis with the Malmquist Index Approach in a Study of the Canadian Banking Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 67-89, January.
- Schaffnit, Claire & Rosen, Dan & Paradi, Joseph C., 1997. "Best practice analysis of bank branches: An application of DEA in a large Canadian bank," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 269-289, April.
- Abhiman Das & Subhash C. Ray & Ashok Nag, 2005.
"Labor-Use Efficiency in Indian Banking: A Branch Level Analysis,"
2005-04, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Das, Abhiman & Ray, Subhash C. & Nag, Ashok, 2009. "Labor-use efficiency in Indian banking: A branch-level analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 411-425, April.
- Peter Bogetoft & Jens Hougaard, 2003.
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 243-271, November.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Stigler, George J, 1976. "The Xistence of X-Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 213-16, March.
- Mihăiță-Cosmin M. POPOVICI, 2013. "A Survey On Bank Efficiency Research With Data Envelopment Analysis And Stochastic Frontier Analysis," CrossCultural Management Journal, Fundația Română pentru Inteligența Afacerii, Editorial Department, issue 27, pages 134-142, February.
- AGRELL, Per & BOGETOFT, Peter, 2013. "Benchmarking and regulation," CORE Discussion Papers 2013008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.