Inventory control for the supply chain: An adaptive control approach based on the identification of the lead-time
AbstractIn this paper, an Internal Model Control (IMC) scheme is incorporated in production inventory control systems in a complete supply chain. This control scheme presents a good target inventory tracking under the perfect knowledge of the system. Furthermore, the inventory tracking and load disturbance rejection control problems can be tackled separately. However, the closed-loop performance of the IMC scheme may be degraded due to a mismatch between the modelled and actual delay or to the fact that delays may be time-varying. Thus, the IMC control scheme is enhanced in this work with a novel method for the online identification of lead times based on a multimodel scheme. In this way, all benefits of the IMC scheme can be exploited. A detailed discussion of the proposed production inventory system is provided including a stability and performance analysis as well as the identification capabilities of the algorithm. Several simulation examples illustrate the efficiency of the approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoberg, Kai & Bradley, James R. & Thonemann, Ulrich W., 2007. "Analyzing the effect of the inventory policy on order and inventory variability with linear control theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1620-1642, February.
- Sriver, Todd A. & Chrissis, James W. & Abramson, Mark A., 2009. "Pattern search ranking and selection algorithms for mixed variable simulation-based optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 878-890, November.
- Balan, S. & Vrat, Prem & Kumar, Pradeep, 2009. "Information distortion in a supply chain and its mitigation using soft computing approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 282-299, April.
- Schwartz, Jay D. & Rivera, Daniel E., 2010. "A process control approach to tactical inventory management in production-inventory systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 111-124, May.
- Dejonckheere, J. & Disney, S. M. & Lambrecht, M. R. & Towill, D. R., 2004. "The impact of information enrichment on the Bullwhip effect in supply chains: A control engineering perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 727-750, March.
- Amini, Mehdi & Li, Haitao, 2011. "Supply chain configuration for diffusion of new products: An integrated optimization approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 313-322, June.
- Ouyang, Yanfeng & Li, Xiaopeng, 2010. "The bullwhip effect in supply chain networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 799-810, March.
- Tang, Dong, 2011. "Managing finished-goods inventory under capacitated delayed differentiation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 481-492, October.
- Disney, S. M. & Towill, D. R., 2003. "On the bullwhip and inventory variance produced by an ordering policy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 157-167, June.
- Silver, Edward A. & Bischak, Diane P., 2011. "The exact fill rate in a periodic review base stock system under normally distributed demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 346-349, June.
- Garcia Salcedo, Carlos Andres & Ibeas Hernandez, Asier & Vilanova, Ramón & Herrera Cuartas, Jorge, 2013. "Inventory control of supply chains: Mitigating the bullwhip effect by centralized and decentralized Internal Model Control approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(2), pages 261-272.
- Fang, Xin & Zhang, Cheng & Robb, David J. & Blackburn, Joseph D., 2013. "Decision support for lead time and demand variability reduction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 390-396.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.