The exact fill rate in a periodic review base stock system under normally distributed demand
AbstractIn this paper, we consider a periodic review order-up-to-level (or base stock) inventory control system under normally distributed demand. For such circumstances, an expression for the exact fill rate (fraction of demand satisfied without backordering) has been available in the literature, but has not been widely known, let alone used by practitioners. In this paper, we redevelop the expression and contrast our derivation with the earlier published one. The paper has two purposes. First, we hope that the reappearance of the exact result in this journal will lead to its wider adoption. Second, showing two contrasting approaches to obtaining the same result may be useful for both research and pedagogical purposes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ward, SC & Chapman, CB & Klein, JH, 1991. "Theoretical versus applied models: The newsboy problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 197-206.
- de Kok, A. G., 1990. "Hierarchical production planning for consumer goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Chen, Fangruo & Zheng, Yu-Sheng, 1993. "Inventory models with general backorder costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Carlson, Marvin L & Miltenburg, G John, 1988. "Using the service point model to control large groups of items," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 481-489.
- Matthew J. Sobel, 2004. "Fill Rates of Single-Stage and Multistage Supply Systems," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 41-52, June.
- Tempelmeier, Horst, 2011. "A column generation heuristic for dynamic capacitated lot sizing with random demand under a fill rate constraint," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 627-633, December.
- Fang, Xin & Zhang, Cheng & Robb, David J. & Blackburn, Joseph D., 2013. "Decision support for lead time and demand variability reduction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 390-396.
- Garcia, C.A. & Ibeas, A. & Herrera, J. & Vilanova, R., 2012. "Inventory control for the supply chain: An adaptive control approach based on the identification of the lead-time," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 314-327.
- Guijarro, Ester & Cardós, Manuel & Babiloni, Eugenia, 2012. "On the exact calculation of the fill rate in a periodic review inventory policy under discrete demand patterns," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(2), pages 442-447.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.