Location optimization of strategic alert sites for homeland defense
AbstractThis research uses a location analysis approach for selecting aircraft alert sites for the defense of important national areas of interest identified by the US Department of Defense. Solutions are generated in a two step approach where the minimum number of sites is first identified using the location set covering problem and then the result is improved by finding the minimum aggregate network distance or p-median solution from the alternate optimal solutions to the LSCP. This approach also identifies the p-center solution to the problem ensuring equitable response to all areas of interest. Sensitivity analysis is performed to determine the impact of altering aircraft launch and flying times on the number of required alert sites and the amount of coverage provided by selecting fewer locations. Results indicate a significant increase in the number of alert locations needed in comparison to original military estimates. The research points out significant implications about future military base closure decisions and the trade-offs between cost and required response times of aircraft in a defense emergency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Jun & Xu, Jiuping, 2009. "A novel portfolio selection model in a hybrid uncertain environment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 439-449, April.
- Costa, Alysson M. & França, Paulo M. & Lyra Filho, Christiano, 2011. "Two-level network design with intermediate facilities: An application to electrical distribution systems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Linda V. Green & Peter J. Kolesar, 2004. "ANNIVERSARY ARTICLE: Improving Emergency Responsiveness with Management Science," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(8), pages 1001-1014, August.
- Syam, Siddhartha S. & Côté, Murray J., 2010. "A location-allocation model for service providers with application to not-for-profit health care organizations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 157-166, June.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Lindstad, Håkon, 2000. "Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 269-275, June.
- Driouchi, Tarik & Leseure, Michel & Bennett, David, 2009. "A robustness framework for monitoring real options under uncertainty," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 698-710, June.
- Muppani (Muppant), Venkata Reddy & Adil, Gajendra Kumar, 2008. "Efficient formation of storage classes for warehouse storage location assignment: A simulated annealing approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 609-618, August.
- ReVelle, Charles & Murray, Alan T. & Serra, Daniel, 2007.
"Location models for ceding market share and shrinking services,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 533-540, October.
- Charles ReVelle & Alan T. Murray & Daniel Serra, 2004. "Location models for ceding market share and shrinking services," Economics Working Papers 753, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Scaparra, Maria P. & Church, Richard L., 2008. "An exact solution approach for the interdiction median problem with fortification," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(1), pages 76-92, August.
- Srivastava, Samir K., 2008. "Network design for reverse logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 535-548, August.
- Harper, P. R. & Shahani, A. K. & Gallagher, J. E. & Bowie, C., 2005. "Planning health services with explicit geographical considerations: a stochastic location-allocation approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 141-152, April.
- Asmild, Mette & Paradi, Joseph C. & Pastor, Jesus T., 2009. "Centralized resource allocation BCC models," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 40-49, February.
- Bautista, Joaquín & Pereira, Jordi, 2006. "Modeling the problem of locating collection areas for urban waste management. An application to the metropolitan area of Barcelona," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 617-629, December.
- Nie, Xiaofeng & Batta, Rajan & Drury, Colin G. & Lin, Li, 2009. "Passenger grouping with risk levels in an airport security system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(2), pages 574-584, April.
- Karsu, Özlem & Morton, Alec, 2014. "Incorporating balance concerns in resource allocation decisions: A bi-criteria modelling approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 70-82.
- Plastria, F., 2012. "A note towards improved homeland defense," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 244-248, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.