Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea
AbstractThis paper considers the real problem of determining an efficient policy for a supply operation in the Norwegian Sea, where a number of offshore installations are serviced from an onshore depot by supply vessels. The purpose of the study was to evaluate the effect on the total supply cost of having some or all of the offshore installations closed for service during night, and to determine an optimal routing policy. Six scenarios were developed, varying in the opening hours and the number of weekly services of the installations, as well as an algorithm to find an optimal routing policy (which vessels to operate and the coherent weekly schedules) for each of the scenarios. By also evaluating the qualitative aspects of the solution of each scenario, a routing policy was recommended, involving potential savings of 7 million dollars. The proposed policy has been implemented and the experience so far is good.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 28 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dan O. Bausch & Gerald G. Brown & David Ronen, 1998. "Scheduling short-term marine transport of bulk products," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 335-348, October.
- Gerald G. Brown & Glenn W. Graves & David Ronen, 1987. "Scheduling Ocean Transportation of Crude Oil," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(3), pages 335-346, March.
- Wang, Shuaian & Meng, Qiang & Sun, Zhuo, 2013. "Container routing in liner shipping," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-7.
- Lindstad, Haakon & Asbjørnslett, Bjørn E. & Strømman, Anders H., 2011. "Reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and cost by shipping at lower speeds," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3456-3464, June.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Christiansen, Marielle & Magnus Hvattum, Lars & Johnsen, Trond A.V. & Vabø, Thor J., 2010. "A decision support methodology for strategic planning in maritime transportation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 465-474, December.
- Pantuso, Giovanni & Fagerholt, Kjetil & Hvattum, Lars Magnus, 2014. "A survey on maritime fleet size and mix problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(2), pages 341-349.
- Bell, John E. & Griffis, Stanley E. & Cunningham III, William A. & Eberlan, Jon A., 2011. "Location optimization of strategic alert sites for homeland defense," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 151-158, April.
- Day, Jamison M. & Daniel Wright, P. & Schoenherr, Tobias & Venkataramanan, Munirpallam & Gaudette, Kevin, 2009. "Improving routing and scheduling decisions at a distributor of industrial gasses," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 227-237, February.
- Overholts II, Dale L. & Bell, John E. & Arostegui, Marvin A., 2009. "A location analysis approach for military maintenance scheduling with geographically dispersed service areas," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 838-852, August.
- Sambracos, E. & Paravantis, J. A. & Tarantilis, C. D. & Kiranoudis, C. T., 2004. "Dispatching of small containers via coastal freight liners: The case of the Aegean Sea," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 365-381, January.
- Halvorsen-Weare, Elin E. & Fagerholt, Kjetil & Nonås, Lars Magne & Asbjørnslett, Bjørn Egil, 2012. "Optimal fleet composition and periodic routing of offshore supply vessels," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(2), pages 508-517.
- Meng, Qiang & Wang, Tingsong & Wang, Shuaian, 2012. "Short-term liner ship fleet planning with container transshipment and uncertain container shipment demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(1), pages 96-105.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.