Investment risk – The perspective of individual investors
AbstractThe aim of the research presented in this paper is to investigate the perceived investment risk of lay investors. Two surveys were conducted to examine the financial risk perception of German individual investors (N=119 in study 1; N=171 in study 2). Participants were asked to rate the risk and several aspects of different types of investment products (e.g. shares and bank savings books).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Psychology.
Volume (Year): 33 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/joep
Perceived risk; Investment decisions; Individual investors; Investment risk perception;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duxbury, Darren & Summers, Barbara, 2004. "Financial risk perception: Are individuals variance averse or loss averse?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 21-28, July.
- Christine R. Harris & Michael Jenkins & Dale Glaser, 2006. "Gender differences in risk assessment: Why do women take fewer risks than men?," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 1, pages 48-63, July.
- Veld, Chris & Veld-Merkoulova, Yulia V., 2008. "The risk perceptions of individual investors," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 226-252, April.
- Alexander Klos & Elke U. Weber & Martin Weber, 2005. "Investment Decisions and Time Horizon: Risk Perception and Risk Behavior in Repeated Gambles," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(12), pages 1777-1790, December.
- Katrin Muehlfeld & Utz Weitzel & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2012. "Fight or freeze? Individual differences in investors' motivational systems and trading in experimental asset markets," Working Papers 12-18, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Lambert, Jérôme & Bessière, Véronique & N’Goala, Gilles, 2012. "Does expertise influence the impact of overconfidence on judgment, valuation and investment decision?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1115-1128.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.