Valuing future private and social benefits: The discounted utility model versus hyperbolic discounting models
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Psychology.
Volume (Year): 21 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/joep
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John A. Cairns & Marjon M. Van Der Pol, 1997. "Saving future lives. A comparison of three discounting models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 341-350.
- Uri Benzion & Amnon Rapoport & Joseph Yagil, 1989. "Discount Rates Inferred from Decisions: An Experimental Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 270-284, March.
- Cairns, John & Van der Pol, Marjon, 1997. "Constant and decreasing timing aversion for saving lives," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 45(11), pages 1653-1659, December.
- Dorte Gyrd-Hansen & Jes S�gaard, 1998. "Discounting life-years: whither time preference?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 121-127.
- Charles M. Harvey, 1986. "Value Functions for Infinite-Period Planning," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(9), pages 1123-1139, September.
- Marjorie K. Shelley, 1993. "Outcome Signs, Question Frames and Discount Rates," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(7), pages 806-815, July.
- Loewenstein, George & Prelec, Drazen, 1992. "Anomalies in Intertemporal Choice: Evidence and an Interpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 573-97, May.
- Bjarne Robberstad & John Cairns, 2007. "Time Preferences for Health in Northern Tanzania," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 73-88, January.
- Bruderer Enzler, Heidi & Diekmann, Andreas & Meyer, Reto, 2014. "Subjective discount rates in the general population and their predictive power for energy saving behavior," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 524-540.
- Gowdy, John & Rosser, J. Barkley & Roy, Loraine, 2013. "The evolution of hyperbolic discounting: Implications for truly social valuation of the future," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 90(S), pages S94-S104.
- Lippai, László, 2009.
"Az intertemporális diszkontálási folyamatok jelentősége a fogyasztói döntésekben
[The importance of inter-temporal discounting processes to consumer decision-making]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 689-708.
- Tatiana Kossova & Elena Kossova & Maria Sheluntcova, 2012. "Estimating the relationship between rate of time preferences and socio-economic factors in Russia," HSE Working papers WP BRP 23/EC/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Normann, Marcel & Langer, Thomas, 2001. "Altersvorsorge, Konsumwunsch und mangelnde Selbstdisziplin: Zur Relevanz deskriptiver Theorien für die Gestaltung von Altersvorsorgeprodukten," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-40, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Andrew Meyer, 2013. "Intertemporal Valuation of River Restoration," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(1), pages 41-61, January.
- Settle, Chad & Shogren, Jason F., 2004. "Hyperbolic discounting and time inconsistency in a native-exotic species conflict," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 255-274, June.
- Gerber, Anke & Rohde, Kirsten I.M., 2010. "Risk and preference reversals in intertemporal choice," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 654-668, December.
- Liebermann, Yehoshua & Ungar, Meyer, 2002. "Efficiency of consumer intertemporal choice under life cycle cost conditions," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 729-748, December.
- Engström, Per & Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Liang, Che-Yuan, 2009. "Maternal-biased parental leave," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 583-590, August.
- Kirsten Rohde, 2010. "The hyperbolic factor: A measure of time inconsistency," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 125-140, October.
- Hanks, Andrew S. & Just, David R. & Wansink, Brian, 2012. "Total Lunchroom Makeovers: Using the Principle of Asymmetric Paternalism to Address New School Lunchroom Guidelines," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123388, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Huang, Yeu-Shiang & Hsu, Chao-Ze, 2008. "An anticipative hyperbolic discount utility on intertemporal decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 281-290, January.
- Lazaro, Angelina & Barberan, Ramon & Rubio, Encarnacion, 2002. "The discounted utility model and social preferences:: Some alternative formulations to conventional discounting," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 317-337, June.
- Andrew Meyer, 2013. "Estimating discount factors for public and private goods and testing competing discounting hypotheses," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 133-173, April.
- Hubert De La Bruslerie & Florent Pratlong, 2012. "La valeur psychologique du temps : Une synthèse de la littérature," Post-Print halshs-00636357, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.