Reliability and expectation bounds for coherent systems with exchangeable components
AbstractSharp upper and lower bounds are obtained for the reliability functions and the expectations of lifetimes of coherent systems based on dependent exchangeable absolutely continuous components with a given marginal distribution function, by use of the concept of Samaniego's signature. We first show that the distribution of any coherent system based on exchangeable components with absolutely continuous joint distribution is a convex combination of distributions of order statistics (equivalent to the k-out-of-n systems) with the weights identical with the values of the Samaniego signature of the system. This extends the Samaniego representation valid for the case of independent and identically distributed components. Combining the representation with optimal bounds on linear combinations of distribution functions of order statistics from dependent identically distributed samples, we derive the corresponding reliability and expectation bounds, dependent on the signature of the system and marginal distribution of dependent components. We also present the sequences of exchangeable absolutely continuous joint distributions of components which attain the bounds in limit. As an application, we obtain the reliability bounds for all the coherent systems with three and four exchangeable components, expressed in terms of the parent marginal reliability function and specify the respective expectation bounds for exchangeable exponential components, comparing them with the lifetime expectations of systems with independent and identically distributed exponential components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marichal, Jean-Luc & Mathonet, Pierre, 2011. "Extensions of system signatures to dependent lifetimes: Explicit expressions and interpretations," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(5), pages 931-936, May.
- Parvardeh, A. & Balakrishnan, N., 2013. "Conditional residual lifetimes of coherent systems," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(12), pages 2664-2672.
- Paltanea, Eugen, 2011. "Bounds for mixtures of order statistics from exponentials and applications," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(5), pages 896-907, May.
- Jorge Navarro & Rafael Rubio, 2010. "Comparisons of coherent systems using stochastic precedence," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 469-486, November.
- Hon Ng & Jorge Navarro & Narayanaswamy Balakrishnan, 2012. "Parametric inference from system lifetime data under a proportional hazard rate model," Metrika, Springer, vol. 75(3), pages 367-388, April.
- Zarezadeh, S. & Asadi, M. & Balakrishnan, N., 2014. "Dynamic network reliability modeling under nonhomogeneous Poisson processes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 232(3), pages 561-571.
- da Costa Bueno, Vanderlei, 2013. "A multistate monotone system signature," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(11), pages 2583-2591.
- Marichal, Jean-Luc & Mathonet, Pierre & Waldhauser, Tamás, 2011. "On signature-based expressions of system reliability," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(10), pages 1410-1416, November.
- Tokarev, Daniel V. & Borovkov, Konstantin A., 2009. "On the expectations of maxima of sets of independent random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(23), pages 2381-2388, December.
- Serkan Eryılmaz, 2013. "On residual lifetime of coherent systems after the rth failure," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 243-250, February.
- Da, Gaofeng & Zheng, Ben & Hu, Taizhong, 2012. "On computing signatures of coherent systems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 142-150, January.
- Balakrishnan, N. & Beutner, E. & Kamps, U., 2008. "Order restricted inference for sequential k-out-of-n systems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(7), pages 1489-1502, August.
- Navarro, Jorge & Spizzichino, Fabio & Balakrishnan, N., 2010. "Applications of average and projected systems to the study of coherent systems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(6), pages 1471-1482, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.