A multivariate nonparametric test of independence
AbstractA new nonparametric approach to the problem of testing the joint independence of two or more random vectors in arbitrary dimension is developed based on a measure of association determined by interpoint distances. The population independence coefficient takes values between 0 and 1, and equals zero if and only if the vectors are independent. We show that the corresponding statistic has a finite limit distribution if and only if the two random vectors are independent; thus we have a consistent test for independence. The coefficient is an increasing function of the absolute value of product moment correlation in the bivariate normal case, and coincides with the absolute value of correlation in the Bernoulli case. A simple modification of the statistic is affine invariant. The independence coefficient and the proposed statistic both have a natural extension to testing the independence of several random vectors. Empirical performance of the test is illustrated via a comparative Monte Carlo study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 97 (2006)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sinha, Bimal Kumar & Wieand, H. S., 1977. "Multivariate nonparametric tests for independence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 572-583, December.
- Deheuvels, Paul, 1981. "An asymptotic decomposition for multivariate distribution-free tests of independence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 102-113, March.
- Taskinen, Sara & Kankainen, Annaliisa & Oja, Hannu, 2003. "Sign test of independence between two random vectors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 9-21, March.
- Matsushita, Raul & Figueiredo, Annibal & Da Silva, Sergio, 2012. "A suggested statistical test for measuring bivariate nonlinear dependence," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(20), pages 4891-4898.
- Székely, Gábor J. & Rizzo, Maria L., 2013. "The distance correlation t-test of independence in high dimension," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 193-213.
- Györfi, László & Walk, Harro, 2012. "Strongly consistent nonparametric tests of conditional independence," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(6), pages 1145-1150.
- Jean-François Quessy, 2009. "Theoretical efficiency comparisons of independence tests based on multivariate versions of Spearman’s rho," Metrika, Springer, vol. 70(3), pages 315-338, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.