A high-dimensional test for the equality of the smallest eigenvalues of a covariance matrix
AbstractFor the test of sphericity, Ledoit and Wolf [Ann. Statist. 30 (2002) 1081-1102] proposed a statistic which is robust against high dimensionality. In this paper, we consider a natural generalization of their statistic for the test that the smallest eigenvalues of a covariance matrix are equal. Some inequalities are obtained for sums of eigenvalues and sums of squared eigenvalues. These bounds permit us to obtain the asymptotic null distribution of our statistic, as the dimensionality and sample size go to infinity together, by using distributional results obtained by Ledoit and Wolf [Ann. Statist. 30 (2002) 1081-1102]. Some empirical results comparing our test with the likelihood ratio test are also given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 97 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wagner, Martin & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2009. "Growth Regressions, Principal Components and Frequentist Model Averaging," Economics Series 236, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Wang, Cheng & Yang, Jing & Miao, Baiqi & Cao, Longbing, 2013. "Identity tests for high dimensional data using RMT," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 128-137.
- Elisabeta JABA & Alina Mariuca IONESCU & Corneliu IATU & Christiana Brigitte BALAN, 2009. "The Evaluation Of The Regional Profile Of The Economic Development In Romania," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 56, pages 537-549, November.
- Fisher, Thomas J. & Sun, Xiaoqian & Gallagher, Colin M., 2010. "A new test for sphericity of the covariance matrix for high dimensional data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(10), pages 2554-2570, November.
- Schott, James R., 2007. "Some high-dimensional tests for a one-way MANOVA," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(9), pages 1825-1839, October.
- Fujikoshi, Yasunori & Yamada, Takayuki & Watanabe, Daisuke & Takakazu Sugiyama, 2007. "Asymptotic distribution of the LR statistic for equality of the smallest eigenvalues in high-dimensional principal component analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(10), pages 2002-2008, November.
- Schott, James R., 2007. "A test for the equality of covariance matrices when the dimension is large relative to the sample sizes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 6535-6542, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.