Influence functions and efficiencies of the canonical correlation and vector estimates based on scatter and shape matrices
AbstractIn this paper, the influence functions and limiting distributions of the canonical correlations and coefficients based on affine equivariant scatter matrices are developed for elliptically symmetric distributions. General formulas for limiting variances and covariances of the canonical correlations and canonical vectors based on scatter matrices are obtained. Also the use of the so-called shape matrices in canonical analysis is investigated. The scatter and shape matrices based on the affine equivariant Sign Covariance Matrix as well as the Tyler's shape matrix serve as examples. Their finite sample and limiting efficiencies are compared to those of the Minimum Covariance Determinant estimators and S-estimator through theoretical and simulation studies. The theory is illustrated by an example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 97 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eaton, M. L. & Tyler, D., 1994. "The Asymptotic Distribution of Singular-Values with Applications to Canonical Correlations and Correspondence Analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 238-264, August.
- Croux, Christophe & Haesbroeck, Gentiane, 1999. "Influence Function and Efficiency of the Minimum Covariance Determinant Scatter Matrix Estimator," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 161-190, November.
- Thomas P. Hettmansperger, 2002. "A practical affine equivariant multivariate median," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(4), pages 851-860, December.
- Anderson, T. W., 1999. "Asymptotic Theory for Canonical Correlation Analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 1-29, July.
- Zhou, Jianhui, 2009. "Robust dimension reduction based on canonical correlation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 195-209, January.
- Frahm, Gabriel, 2009. "Asymptotic distributions of robust shape matrices and scales," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(7), pages 1329-1337, August.
- Cator, Eric A. & Lopuhaä, Hendrik P., 2010. "Asymptotic expansion of the minimum covariance determinant estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(10), pages 2372-2388, November.
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2008. "A canonical definition of shape," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(14), pages 2240-2247, October.
- Ella Roelant & Stefan Aelst & Gert Willems, 2009. "The minimum weighted covariance determinant estimator," Metrika, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 177-204, September.
- Hallin, Marc & Paindaveine, Davy, 2009. "Optimal tests for homogeneity of covariance, scale, and shape," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 422-444, March.
- Taskinen, Sara & Koch, Inge & Oja, Hannu, 2012. "Robustifying principal component analysis with spatial sign vectors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(4), pages 765-774.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.