Eigenstructures of Spatial Design Matrices
AbstractIn estimating the variogram of a spatial stochastic process, we use a spatial design matrix. This matrix is the key to Matheron's variogram estimator. We show how the structure of the matrix for any dimension is based on the one-dimensional spatial design matrix, and we compute explicit eigenvalues and eigenvectors for all dimensions. This design matrix involves Kronecker products of second order finite difference matrices, with cosine eigenvectors and eigenvalues. Using the eigenvalues of the spatial design matrix, the statistics of Matheron's variogram estimator are determined. Finally, a small simulation study is performed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 80 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Genton, Marc G. & He, Li & Liu, Xiangwei, 2001. "Moments of skew-normal random vectors and their quadratic forms," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 319-325, February.
- Ali, Mukhtar M, 1987. "Durbin-Watson and Generalized Durbin-Watson Tests for Autocorrelations and Randomness," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(2), pages 195-203, April.
- Genton, Marc G. & Gorsich, David J., 2002. "Nonparametric variogram and covariogram estimation with Fourier-Bessel matrices," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 47-57, November.
- Hillier, Grant & Martellosio, Federico, 2006.
"Spatial design matrices and associated quadratic forms: structure and properties,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Hillier, Grant & Martellosio, Federico, 2006. "Spatial design matrices and associated quadratic forms: structure and properties," MPRA Paper 15807, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grant Hillier & Federico Martellosio, 2004. "Spatial design matrices and associated quadratic forms: structure and properties," CeMMAP working papers CWP16/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Genton, Mark G. & Ruiz-Gazen, Anne, 2009. "Visualizing Influential Observations in Dependent Data," TSE Working Papers 09-051, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Reinaldo Arellano-Valle & Marc Genton, 2010. "An invariance property of quadratic forms in random vectors with a selection distribution, with application to sample variogram and covariogram estimators," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 62(2), pages 363-381, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.