Efficient Variable Screening for Multivariate Analysis
AbstractIt is shown how known algorithms for the comparison of all variables subsets in regression analysis can be adapted to subset comparisons in multivariate analysis, according to any index based on Wilks, Lawley-Hotelling, or Bartllet-Pillai statistics and, in some special cases, according to any function of the sample squared canonical correlations. The issues regarding the choice of an appropriate comparison criterion are discussed. The computational effort of the proposed algorithms is studied, and it is argued that, for a moderate number of variables, they should be preferred to stepwise selection methods. A software implementation of the methods discussed is freely available and can be downloaded from the Internet.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 76 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elliot Cramer & W. Nicewander, 1979. "Some symmetric, invariant measures of multivariate association," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 43-54, March.
- du Jardin, Philippe & Severin, Eric, 2011.
"Forecasting financial failure using a Kohonen map: A comparative study to improve model stability over time,"
39935, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Apr 2012.
- du Jardin, Philippe & Séverin, Eric, 2012. "Forecasting financial failure using a Kohonen map: A comparative study to improve model stability over time," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(2), pages 378-396.
- Nkiet, Guy Martial, 2012. "Direct variable selection for discrimination among several groups," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 151-163.
- Michael Brusco & Renu Singh & Douglas Steinley, 2009. "Variable Neighborhood Search Heuristics for Selecting a Subset of Variables in Principal Component Analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 74(4), pages 705-726, December.
- A. Pedro Duarte Silva, 2009. "Exact and heuristic algorithms for variable selection: Extended Leaps and Bounds," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 01, Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.