Adaptive Semiparametric Estimation of the Memory Parameter
AbstractIn Giraitis, Robinson, and Samarov (1997), we have shown that the optimal rate for memory parameter estimators in semiparametric long memory models with degree of "local smoothness" [beta] is n-r([beta]), r([beta])=[beta]/(2[beta]+1), and that a log-periodogram regression estimator (a modified Geweke and Porter-Hudak (1983) estimator) with maximum frequency m=m([beta])[asymptotically equal to]n2r([beta]) is rate optimal. The question which we address in this paper is what is the best obtainable rate when [beta] is unknown, so that estimators cannot depend on [beta]. We obtain a lower bound for the asymptotic quadratic risk of any such adaptive estimator, which turns out to be larger than the optimal nonadaptive rate n-r([beta]) by a logarithmic factor. We then consider a modified log-periodogram regression estimator based on tapered data and with a data-dependent maximum frequency m=m([beta]), which depends on an adaptively chosen estimator [beta] of [beta], and show, using methods proposed by Lepskii (1990) in another context, that this estimator attains the lower bound up to a logarithmic factor. On one hand, this means that this estimator has nearly optimal rate among all adaptive (free from [beta]) estimators, and, on the other hand, it shows near optimality of our data-dependent choice of the rate of the maximum frequency for the modified log-periodogram regression estimator. The proofs contain results which are also of independent interest: one result shows that data tapering gives a significant improvement in asymptotic properties of covariances of discrete Fourier transforms of long memory time series, while another gives an exponential inequality for the modified log-periodogram regression estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 72 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lobato, Ignacio N., 1999. "A semiparametric two-step estimator in a multivariate long memory model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 129-153, May.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1999.
"Non-stationary log-periodogram regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 325-371, August.
- Velasco, Carlos, . "Non-stationary log-periodogram regression," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4346, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Velasco, Carlos, . "Non-stationary log-periodogram regression," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4554, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Giraitis, L. & Robinson, P.M., 2003.
"Edgeworth expansions for semiparametric Whittle estimation of long memory,"
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Liudas Giraitis & Peter M Robinson, 2002. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Whittle Estimation of Long Memory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/438, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Arteche, J., 2006.
"Semiparametric estimation in perturbed long memory series,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2118-2141, December.
- Arteche González, Jesús María, 2005. "Semiparametric estimation in perturbed long memory series," BILTOKI 2005-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Josu Arteche, 2006. "Semiparametric estimation in perturbed long memory series," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 22, Society for Computational Economics.
- Arteche, Josu & Orbe, Jesus, 2009. "Using the bootstrap for finite sample confidence intervals of the log periodogram regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1940-1953, April.
- Hurvich, Clifford M. & Moulines, Eric & Soulier, Philippe, 2002. "The FEXP estimator for potentially non-stationary linear time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 307-340, February.
- Masaki Narukawa & Yasumasa Matsuda, 2008. "Broadband semiparametric estimation of the long-memory parameter by the likelihood-based FEXP approach," Tohoku Economics Research Group 239, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Faculty of Economics, Tohoku University.
- Yixiao Sun, 2005. "Adaptive Estimation of the Regression Discontinuity Model," Econometrics 0506003, EconWPA.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.