AbstractThis paper proposes nonparametric deconvolution density estimation overS2. Here we would think of theS2elements of interest being corrupted by randomSO(3) elements (rotations). The resulting density on the observations would be a convolution of theSO(3) density with the trueS2density. Consequently, the methodology, as in the Euclidean case, would be to use Fourier analysis onSO(3) andS2, involving rotational and spherical harmonics, respectively. We especially consider the case where the deconvolution operator is a bounded operator lowering the Sobolev order by a finite amount. Consistency results are obtained with rates of convergence calculated under the expectedS2and Sobolev square norms that are proportionally inverse to some power of the sample size. As an example we introduce the rotational version of the Laplace distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 67 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bai, Z. D. & Rao, C. Radhakrishna & Zhao, L. C., 1988. "Kernel estimators of density function of directional data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 24-39, October.
- Koo, Ja-Yong & Kim, Peter T., 2008. "Sharp adaptation for spherical inverse problems with applications to medical imaging," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 165-190, February.
- Goldenshluger, Alexander, 2002. "Density Deconvolution in the Circular Structural Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 360-375, May.
- Vareschi, T., 2014. "Application of second generation wavelets to blind spherical deconvolution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 398-417.
- Kim, Peter T. & Koo, Ja-Yong & Luo, Zhi-Ming, 2009. "Weyl eigenvalue asymptotics and sharp adaptation on vector bundles," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(9), pages 1962-1978, October.
- Kim, Peter T. & Koo, Ja-Yong & Park, Heon Jin, 2004. "Sharp minimaxity and spherical deconvolution for super-smooth error distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 384-392, August.
- Kim, Peter T. & Koo, Ja-Yong, 2002. "Optimal Spherical Deconvolution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Pelletier, Bruno, 2005. "Kernel density estimation on Riemannian manifolds," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 297-304, July.
- Arnoud van Rooij & Frits Ruymgaart, 2001. "Abstract Inverse Estimation with Application to Deconvolution on Locally Compact Abelian Groups," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 53(4), pages 781-798, December.
- Hielscher, Ralf, 2013. "Kernel density estimation on the rotation group and its application to crystallographic texture analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 119-143.
- Hendriks, Harrie, 2003. "Application of fast spherical Fourier transform to density estimation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 209-221, February.
- Bissantz, Nicolai & Hohage, T. & Munk, Axel & Ruymgaart, F., 2007. "Convergence rates of general regularization methods for statistical inverse problems and applications," Technical Reports 2007,04, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.