On Estimating the Dimensionality in Canonical Correlation Analysis
AbstractIn canonical correlation analysis the number of nonzero population correlation coefficients is called the dimensionality. Asymptotic distributions of the dimensionalities estimated by Mallows's criterion and Akaike's criterion are given for nonnormal multivariate populations with finite fourth moments. These distributions have a simple form in the case of elliptical populations, and modified criteria are proposed which adjust for nonzero kurtosis. An estimation method based on a marginal likelihood function for the dimensionality is introduced and the asymptotic distribution of the corresponding estimator is derived for multivariate normal populations. It is shown that this estimator is not consistent, but that a simple modification yields consistency. An overall comparison of the various estimation methods is conducted through simulation studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 62 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glynn, William J. & Muirhead, Robb J., 1978. "Inference in canonical correlation analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 468-478, September.
- Peter M Robinson & Yoshihiro Yajima, 2001.
"Determination of Cointegrating Rank in Fractional Systems,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2001/423, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Yajima, Yoshihiro, 2002. "Determination of cointegrating rank in fractional systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 217-241, February.
- Engle, Robert F. & Marcucci, Juri, 2006. "A long-run Pure Variance Common Features model for the common volatilities of the Dow Jones," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 7-42, May.
- Nielsen, Morten Orregaard & Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2007.
"Determining the cointegrating rank in nonstationary fractional systems by the exact local Whittle approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 574-596, December.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Morten Ørregaard Nielsen, 2006. "Determining the Cointegrating Rank in Nonstationary Fractional Systems by the Exact Local Whittle Approach," Working Papers 1029, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Willa Chen & Clifford Hurvich, 2004. "Semiparametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegrating Subspaces," Econometrics 0412007, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.