On the Asymptotics of Quantizers in Two Dimensions
AbstractWhen the mean square distortion measure is used, asymptotically optimal quantizers of uniform bivariate random vectors correspond to the centers of regular hexagons (Newman, 1982), and if the random vector is non-uniform, asymptotically optimal quantizers are the centers of piecewise regular hexagons where the sizes of the hexagons are determined by a properly chosen density function (Su and Cambanis, 1996). This paper considers bivariate random vectors with finite[gamma]th ([gamma]>0) moment. If the[gamma]th mean distortion measure is used, a complete characterization of the asymptotically optimal quantizers is given. Furthermore, it is shown that the procedure introduced by Su and Cambanis (1996) is also asymptotically optimal for every[gamma]>0. Examples with a normal distribution and a Pearson type VII distribution are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 61 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarpey, T., 1995. "Principal Points and Self-Consistent Points of Symmetrical Multivariate Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 39-51, April.
- Su, Yingcai, 1997. "Estimation of random fields by piecewise constant estimators," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 145-163, November.
- Shun Matsuura & Hiroshi Kurata, 2014. "Principal points for an allometric extension model," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 55(3), pages 853-870, August.
- Matsuura, Shun & Kurata, Hiroshi, 2011. "Principal points of a multivariate mixture distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 213-224, February.
- Matsuura, Shun & Kurata, Hiroshi, 2010. "A principal subspace theorem for 2-principal points of general location mixtures of spherically symmetric distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1863-1869, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.