Nonparametric regression estimation with general parametric error covariance
AbstractThe asymptotic distribution for the local linear estimator in nonparametric regression models is established under a general parametric error covariance with dependent and heterogeneously distributed regressors. A two-step estimation procedure that incorporates the parametric information in the error covariance matrix is proposed. Sufficient conditions for its asymptotic normality are given and its efficiency relative to the local linear estimator is established. We give examples of how our results are useful in some recently studied regression models. A Monte Carlo study confirms the asymptotic theory predictions and compares our estimator with some recently proposed alternative estimation procedures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- 62G - - - - - -
- 62G - - - - - -
- Loc - Industrial Organization - - - - -
- lin - - - - - -
- est - - - - - -
- Asy - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
- nor - - - - - -
- Mix - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - - - -
- pro - - - - - -
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pham, Tuan D. & Tran, Lanh T., 1985. "Some mixing properties of time series models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 297-303, April.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi & Weersink, Alfons, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Stochastic Production Frontier Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 460-68, October.
- Naisyin Wang, 2003. "Marginal nonparametric kernel regression accounting for within-subject correlation," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(1), pages 43-52, March.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, December.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 2000.
"Nonparametric seemingly unrelated regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 257-281, October.
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., 1998. "Nonparametric Seemingly Unrelated Regression," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Xiao Z. & Linton O.B. & Carroll R.J. & Mammen E., 2003. "More Efficient Local Polynomial Estimation in Nonparametric Regression With Autocorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 980-992, January.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Mandy, David M & Martins-Filho, Carlos, 1994. "A Unified Approach to Asymptotic Equivalence of Aitken and Feasible Aitken Instrumental Variables Estimators," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(4), pages 957-79, November.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Ullah, Aman, 2005. "A nonparametric random effects estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 403-407, September.
- Martins-Filho Carlos & Yao Feng, 2006. "Estimation of Value-at-Risk and Expected Shortfall based on Nonlinear Models of Return Dynamics and Extreme Value Theory," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(2), pages 1-43, May.
- Liangjun Su & Aman Ullah & Yun Wang, 2013. "Nonparametric regression estimation with general parametric error covariance: a more efficient two-step estimator," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 1009-1024, October.
- Ke Yang, 2012. "Multivariate Local Polynomial Regression With Autocorrelated Errors," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(4), pages 3298-3305.
- Ke Yang, 2013. "An Improved Local-linear Estimator For Nonparametric Regression With Autoregressive Errors," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 19-27.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.