The impact of import competition on Japanese manufacturing employment
AbstractAlthough previous studies of the effect of imports on Japanese employment relied on relatively aggregate data, the variability among industries is substantial within each two-digit sector. This paper exploits recently available longitudinal data of 390 manufacturing industries and controls for industry-specific factors at the four-digit level. This paper finds the significant impact of import price changes on Japanese employment. The estimates suggest that substantial share of average employment decline can be accounted for by the intensified import competition and that the employment sensitivity increases with industry import share. All these findings are significant especially for the yen appreciating recession years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of the Japanese and International Economies.
Volume (Year): 17 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903
Other versions of this item:
- Eiichi Tomiura, 2001. "The Impact of Import Competition on Japanese Manufacturing Employment," Discussion Paper Series 120, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001.
"Employment Versus Wage Adjustment And The U.S. Dollar,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 477-489, August.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998. "Employment versus wage adjustment and the U.S. dollar," Staff Reports 56, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1999. "Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the U.S. Dollar," Working Papers 99-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998. "Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the US Dollar," NBER Working Papers 6749, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William H. Branson & James Love, 1988. "U.S. Manufacturing and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Chapters, in: Misalignment of Exchange Rates, pages 241-276 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Burgess & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"An International Comparison of Employment Adjustment to Exchange Rate Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
5861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burgess, Simon M & Knetter, Michael M, 1998. "An International Comparison of Employment Adjustment to Exchange Rate Fluctuations," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 151-63, February.
- Brunello, Giorgio, 1990. "Real exchange rate variability and Japanese industrial employment," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 121-138, June.
- Higuchi, Yoshio, 1989. "Japan's changing wage structure: The impact of internal factors and international competition," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 480-499, December.
- Revenga, Ana L, 1992. "Exporting Jobs? The Impact of Import Competition on Employment and Wages in U.S. Manufacturing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 255-84, February.
- Rebick, Marcus E., 1999. "Trade and the Wage Structure in the Presence of Price Differentials in the Product Market: The Japanese Labor Market 1965-1990," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 22-43, March.
- Dekle, Robert, 1998. "The yen and Japanese manufacturing employment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 785-801, October.
- Halit Yanikkaya, 2008.
"Is Trade Liberalization a Solution to the Unemployment Problem?,"
2008/17, Turkish Economic Association.
- Halit Yanikkaya, 2013. "Is trade liberalization a solution to the unemployment problem?," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 57-85, April.
- Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura, 2006. "Employment of MNEs in Japan: New Evidence," Discussion papers 06014, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Sawako Maruyama, 2013. "The structure and the determinants of the trade of SME products," Discussion Papers 1304, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Anna Maria MAYDA & NAKANE Masato & STEINBERG, Chad & YAMADA Hiroyuki, 2012. "Exposure to Low-wage Country Imports and the Growth of Japanese Manufacturing Plants," Discussion papers 12038, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.