International diversification and Microfinance
AbstractInternational commercial banks, institutional investors, and private investors have become increasingly interested in financing microfinance institutions (MFIs). This paper investigates whether adding microfinance funds to a portfolio of risky international assets yields diversification gains. By using mean-variance spanning tests with short-sale constraints, we find that investing in microfinance may be attractive for investors seeking a better risk-return profile. Specifically, the analysis suggests that investing in MFIs from Latin America, or microfinance and rural banks yields more efficient portfolios. In contrast, adding MFIs from Africa or microfinance NGOs to a portfolio of international assets is not beneficial for a mean-variance investor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Money and Finance.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30443
Microfinance Mean-variance spanning International diversification;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roon, F.A. de & Nijman, T.E. & Werker, B.J.M., 1998.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning with short sales constraints and transaction costs: The case of emerging markets,"
1998-07, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T.E. & Roon, F.A. de & Werker, B.J.M., 2001. "Testing for Mean-Variance spanning with short sales constraints and transaction costs: The case of emerging markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86724, Tilburg University.
- Roon, F.A. de & Nijman, T.E., 1998.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning: A survey,"
1998-132, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gonzalez, Adrian, 2007. "Resilience of Microfinance Institutions to National Macroeconomic Events: An Econometric Analysis of MFI asset quality," MPRA Paper 4317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geert Bekaert & Michael S. Urias, 1996.
"Diversification, Integration and Emerging Market Closed-End Funds,"
NBER Working Papers
4990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Urias, Michael S, 1996. " Diversification, Integration and Emerging Market Closed-End Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 835-69, July.
- Nicolas Krauss & Ingo Walter, 2009. "Can Microfinance Reduce Portfolio Volatility?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 85-110, October.
- Granger, Clive W.J., 1998. "Extracting Information from Mega-Panels and High-Frequency Data," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt17t2d9n6, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Moerman, Gerard A., 2008. "Diversification in euro area stock markets: Country versus industry," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1122-1134, November.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Holly, Alberto & Monfort, Alain, 1982. "Likelihood Ratio Test, Wald Test, and Kuhn-Tucker Test in Linear Models with Inequality Constraints on the Regression Parameters," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Wolff, Dominik & Bessler, Wolfgang & Opfer, Heiko, 2012. "Multi-Asset Portfolio Optimization and Out-of-Sample Performance: An Evaluation of Black-Litterman, Mean Variance and Naïve Diversification Approaches," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62020, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2011.
"Investment in Microfinance Equity : Risk, Return, and Diversification Benefits,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/7858, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "Investment in Microfinance Equity: Risk, Return, and Diversification Benefits," Working Papers CEB 11-050, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Karel Janda & Barbora Svarovska, 2012. "Suitability of Microfinance as an Investment Option," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp470, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Moulin, Bertrand, 2011. "Microfinance investment vehicles in Sub-Saharan Africa: constraints and potentials," MPRA Paper 32967, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dorfleitner, G. & Priberny, C., 2013. "A quantitative model for structured microfinance," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 12-22.
- Berg, Gunhild & Kirschenmann, Karolin, 2012. "Funding vs. real economy shock : the impact of the 2007-2009 crisis on small firms'credit availability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6030, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.