No place to hide: The global crisis in equity markets in 2008/2009
AbstractThis paper provides a broad analysis of the effect of the current financial crisis on global equity markets and their major components. We also examine the magnitude of the crisis in terms of value destruction in comparison to other market crashes. In brief, upon looking at return performance across an array of regions, countries, and sectors, broad market averages are down approximately 40% on their end of 2006 levels. While deterioration started in most markets in early to mid 2008, the crisis period of mid-September to the end of October 2008 is responsible for the lion's share of the collapse with just about all indices falling 30-40% in this short period. Financial sectors have taken a bigger hit than non-financials over the period, though they both suffered similarly during the peak of the crisis. Due to larger rises in 2007 the emerging markets drop more in 2008 than developed markets but in large part end up at the same level as the other markets. The global nature of the crisis is also apparent from the high correlations between markets and investment styles that further increased during the crisis. As a result, diversification provided little help to investors when needed most as markets dropped in tandem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Money and Finance.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30443
Equity market Financial crisis Shareholder value Performance International finance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillaume Plantin & Haresh Sapra & Hyun Song Shin, 2008.
"Marking-to-Market: Panacea or Pandora's Box?,"
Journal of Accounting Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 435-460, 05.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973, May.
- John Boyd & Gianni De Nicolò & Elena Loukoianova, 2010.
"Banking Crises and Crisis Dating: Theory and Evidence,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3134, CESifo Group Munich.
- Elena Loukoianova & Gianni De NicolÃ³ & John H. Boyd, 2009. "Banking Crises and Crisis Dating: Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 09/141, International Monetary Fund.
- Franklin Allen & Ana Babus & Elena Carletti, 2009. "Financial Crises: Theory and Evidence," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 97-116, November.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Douglas Gale, 2009.
"Interbank Market Liquidity and Central Bank Intervention,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2009/09, European University Institute.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Gale, Douglas, 2009. "Interbank market liquidity and central bank intervention," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 639-652, July.
- Faten Ben Slimane & Mohamed Mehanaoui & Irfan Akbar Kazi, 2013. "How Does the Financial Crisis Affect Volatility Behavior and Transmission Among European Stock Markets?," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 81-101, August.
- Onour, Ibrahim, 2010.
"The Global Financial Crisis and Equity Markets in Middle East Oil Exporting Countries,"
23332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dr. Ibrahim Onour, . "The Global Financial Crisis and Equity Markets in Middle East Oil Exporting Countries," API-Working Paper Series 1009, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Vít Bubák & Evžen Kocenda & Filip Zikes, 2010.
"Volatility Transmission in Emerging European Foreign Exchange Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3063, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bubák, Vít & Kocenda, Evzen & Zikes, Filip, 2011. "Volatility transmission in emerging European foreign exchange markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2829-2841, November.
- Evzen Kocenda & Vit Bubak & Filip Zikes, 2011. "Volatility Transmission in Emerging European Foreign Exchange Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1020, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012.
"No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Working Papers CEB 12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fernanda G Barba & Paulo S Ceretta, 2011. "Risk transmission between Latin America stock markets and the US: impacts of the 2007/2008 Crisis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(2), pages 1025-1037.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2012. "Global imbalances, cross-market linkages, and the financial crisis: A multivariate Markov-switching analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 943-973.
- Muñoz, Mª Pilar & Márquez, María Dolores & Sánchez, Josep A., 2011. "Contagion between United States and european markets during the recent crises," MPRA Paper 35993, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James Lothian, 2011. "Why Money Matters: A Fourth Natural Experiment," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 179-187, April.
- Dwyer, Gerald P. & Lothian, James R., 2012. "International and historical dimensions of the financial crisis of 2007 and 2008," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-9.
- Guidi, Francesco & Ugur, Mehmet, 2012. "Are South East Europe stock markets integrated with regional and global stock markets?," MPRA Paper 44133, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2012.
- Mun, Melissa & Brooks, Robert, 2012. "The roles of news and volatility in stock market correlations during the global financial crisis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-7.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.