Monthly rent with variable deposit: A new form of rental contract in Korea
AbstractIn this paper, we describe the structure of the monthly-rent-with-variable-deposit (MRVD) contract, a distinct type of rental contract in Korea. We demonstrate that the Chonsei contract is one variant of the MRVD contract. To explain the MRVD contract, we propose a leverage-effect-seeking hypothesis. Based on this hypothesis, we are able to elucidate a variety of rental market conditions in Korea. Our hypothesis is consistent with the simultaneous existence of several types of rental contracts and various combinations of monthly rent, as well as the up-front deposit in the MRVD contracts. We also focused on the deposit-to-monthly-rent conversion rate, a critical factor in the Korean rental housing market. Our hypothesis indicates that conversion rates vary across local markets depending on local market conditions, such as the expected house price appreciation rate. The results of our data analysis demonstrate that our hypothesis more adequately explains the observed trend in the conversion rate, as well as that in the MRVD contracts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Housing Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622881
Monthly-rent-with-variable-deposit Leverage-effect-seeking hypothesis Deposit-to-monthly-rent conversion rate Korea;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brent W. Ambrose & Sunwoong Kim, 2003. "Modeling the Korean Chonsei Lease Contract," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 53-74, 03.
- Kim, Kyung-Hwan, 1990. "An analysis of inefficiency due to inadequate mortgage financing: The case of Seoul, Korea," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 371-390, November.
- Follain, James & Lim, Gill-Chin & Renaud, Bertrand, 1980. "The demand for housing in developing countries: The case of Korea," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 315-336, May.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Han, Jaehye Kim, 1989. "Housing wealth, housing finance, and tenure in Korea," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 211-234, May.
- Kim, Jinwon, 2013.
"Financial repression and housing investment: An analysis of the Korean chonsei,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 338-358.
- Kim, Jinwon, 2012. "Financial Repression and Housing Investment: An Analysis of the Korean Chonsei," MPRA Paper 47586, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.