Housing, home production, and the equity- and value-premium puzzles
AbstractWe ask if a standard representative agent model with a home-production sector can resolve the equity-premium or value-premium puzzles. In the model, agents value market (numeraire) consumption and a home consumption good that is produced from the stock of housing, home labor, and a labor-augmenting technology shock. We construct the unobserved quantity of the home consumption good by combining observed data on numeraire consumption, hours worked in the marketplace, and rents paid on housing with restrictions of the model. We test the first-order conditions of the model using GMM. The model is rejected by the data; it cannot explain either the historical equity-premium or the value-premium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Housing Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622881
Housing House prices Equity-premium Value-premium;
Other versions of this item:
- Morris A. Davis & Robert F. Martin, 2008. "Housing, home production, and the equity and value premium puzzles," International Finance Discussion Papers 931, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morris A. Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2005.
"Housing And The Business Cycle,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 751-784, 08.
- Morris Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004. "Housing and the business cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Davis, Morris & Heathcote, Jonathan, 2001. "Housing and the Business Cycle," Working Papers 01-09, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Paul Gomme & B. Ravikumar & Peter Rupert, 2008.
"The Return to Capital and the Business Cycle,"
08002, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised 23 Sep 2010.
- Gomme, Paul & Ravikumar, B & Rupert, Peter, 2007. "The Return to Capital and the Business Cycle," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt8d5824r7, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Paul Gomme & B. Ravikumar & Peter Rupert, 2006. "The return to capital and the business cycle," Working Paper 0603, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Paul Gomme & B. Ravikumar & Peter Rupert, 2006. "The Return to Capital and the Business Cycle," 2006 Meeting Papers 801, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Morris Davis, 2004.
"The Price and Quantity of Residential Land in the United States,"
2004 Meeting Papers
32, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Davis, Morris A. & Heathcote, Jonathan, 2007. "The price and quantity of residential land in the United States," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2595-2620, November.
- Morris A. Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004. "The price and quantity of residential land in the United States," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Davis, Morris & Heathcote, Jonathan, 2005. "The Price and Quantity of Residential Land in the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 5333, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ellen McGrattan & Richard Rogerson & Randall Wright, 1995.
"An equilibrium model of the business cycle with household production and fiscal policy,"
191, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- McGrattan, Ellen R & Rogerson, Richard & Wright, Randall, 1997. "An Equilibrium Model of the Business Cycle with Household Production and Fiscal Policy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 267-90, May.
- Hanno N. Lustig & Stijn G. Van Nieuwerburgh, 2005.
"Housing Collateral, Consumption Insurance, and Risk Premia: An Empirical Perspective,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1167-1219, 06.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2003. "Housing Collateral, Consumption Insurance and Risk Premia: An Empirical Perpective," NBER Working Papers 9959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gomme, Paul & Rupert, Peter, 2007.
"Theory, measurement and calibration of macroeconomic models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 460-497, March.
- Paul Gomme & Peter Rupert, 2005. "Theory, measurement, and calibration of macroeconomic models," Working Paper 0505, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Greenwood, J. & Rogerson, R. & Wright, R., 1993. "Household Production in Real Business Cycle Thoery," RCER Working Papers 347, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Monika Piazzesi & Martin Schneider & Selale Tuzel, 2006.
"Housing, Consumption, and Asset Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
12036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yongqiang Chu, 2010. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model with Owner-Occupied Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 427-465.
- David E. Lebow & Jeremy B. Rudd, 2003. "Measurement Error in the Consumer Price Index: Where Do We Stand?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(1), pages 159-201, March.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-57, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Morris A. Davis & Francois Ortalo-Magne, 2011.
"Household Expenditures, Wages, Rents,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 14(2), pages 248-261, April.
- Morris A. Davis & François Ortalo-Magné, 2007. "Household Expenditures, Wages, Rents," CESifo Working Paper Series 2156, CESifo Group Munich.
- Morris Davis & Francois Ortalo-Magne, 2010. "Code files for "Household Expenditures, Wages, Rents"," Computer Codes 09-92, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Ricardo M. Sousa, 2006.
"Consumption, (Dis)Aggregate Wealth and Asset Returns,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
212, Society for Computational Economics.
- Sousa, Ricardo M., 2010. "Consumption, (dis)aggregate wealth, and asset returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 606-622, September.
- Ricardo M. Sousa, 2005. "Consumption, (Dis) Aggregate Wealth and Asset Returns," NIPE Working Papers 9/2005, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Ingram, Beth F. & Kocherlakota, Narayana R. & Savin, N. E., 1997. "Using theory for measurement: An analysis of the cyclical behavior of home production," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 435-456, December.
- Leung, Charles Ka Yui, 2014.
"Error Correction Dynamics of House Prices: an Equilibrium Benchmark,"
55654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leung, Charles Ka Yui, 2014. "Error correction dynamics of house prices: an equilibrium benchmark," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 177, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Ivan Jaccard, 2010. "Asset Pricing and Housing Supply in a Production Economy," 2010 Meeting Papers 605, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nikola Kojucharov & Clyde F. Martin & Robert F. Martin & Lili Xu, 2009. "The subprime mortgage crisis: irrational exuberance or rational error?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Gang-Zhi Fan & Ming Pu & Seow Ong, 2012. "Optimal Portfolio Choices, House Risk Hedging and the Pricing of Forward House Transactions," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 3-29, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.