Regulatory policy and the location of bio-pharmaceutical foreign direct investment in Europe
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between cross-country differences in drug price regulation and the location of biopharmaceutical Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Europe. Simple theory predicts that price regulation in one country might affect total investment, but not the location of that investment, if sales are global. Nevertheless, some manufacturers threaten that the introduction of price regulation in a country will motivate them to move their investments to other countries. Are such threats cheap talk, or is there evidence that firms avoid price-controlling countries when making FDI location choices? We use data on 527 investments initiated in 27 European countries between 2002 and 2009 and find that investors are less likely to choose countries with price controls, after controlling for other determinants of investment. We also observe a relative decline in investment in countries that increased the stringency of regulatory regimes during our sample period. The effect is restricted to non-manufacturing investments and is most robust for those related to administrative functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560
Pharmaceutical industry; Location choices; Price regulations; Discrete choice model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2004.
"How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in France,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Crozet, M. & Mayer, T. & Micchielli, J.L., 2000. "How Do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France?," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 2000.50, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2003. "How do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 3873, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2007. "The impact of generic reference pricing interventions in the statin market," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 14-29, November.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Susan J. Mendez & Thomas Rønde, 2010.
"Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2010-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013. "Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," IZA Discussion Papers 7248, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Mendez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas, 2010. "Regulation of pharmaceutical prices: Evidence from a reference price reform in Denmark," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-062, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013. "Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79937, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Susan J. Méndez & Thomas Rønde & Hannes Ullrich, 2013. " Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," Working Papers 330, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Martin Finkenzeller & Christoph Spengel, 2004. "Measuring the Effective Levels of Company Taxation in the New Member States: A Quantitative Analysis," Taxation Papers 7, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission, revised Dec 2004.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"Economic geography and international inequality,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEP Discussion Papers dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Redding, Stephen J & Venables, Anthony J., 2000. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," International Trade 0103003, EconWPA.
- Iván Moreno Torres & Jaume Puig & Joan-Ramon Borrell-Arqué, 2007.
"Generic entry into a regulated pharmaceutical market,"
Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics
1014, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Iván Moreno Torres & Jaume Puig & Joan-Ramon Borrell-Arqué, 2007. "Generic entry into a regulated pharmaceutical market," Economics Working Papers 1014, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Jonathan D. Ketcham, 2003.
"Reference Pricing of Pharmaceuticals for Medicare: Evidence from Germany, the Netherlands and New Zealand,"
NBER Working Papers
10007, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Jonathan D. Ketcham, 2004. "Reference Pricing of Pharmaceuticals for Medicare: Evidence from Germany, the Netherlands, and New Zealand," NBER Chapters, in: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 7, pages 1-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Danzon Patricia M. & Ketcham Jonathan D., 2004. "Reference Pricing of Pharmaceuticals for Medicare: Evidence from Germany, the Netherlands, and New Zealand," Forum for Health Economics & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-56, January.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2007. "Firm location decisions, regional grants and agglomeration externalities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 413-435, April.
- Conley, T. G., 1999. "GMM estimation with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-45, September.
- Head, C. Keith & Ries, John C. & Swenson, Deborah L., 1999. "Attracting foreign manufacturing: Investment promotion and agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2007. "Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 88-99, February.
- Head, Charles Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2002.
"Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 959-972, November.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew J. Epstein, 2008. "Effects of Regulation on Drug Launch and Pricing in Interdependent Markets," NBER Working Papers 14041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2006. "The role of firm characteristics in pharmaceutical product launches," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 602-618, 09.
- Wilbur Chung & Juan Alcácer, 2002. "Knowledge Seeking and Location Choice of Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(12), pages 1534-1554, December.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
- Kalo, Zoltan & Muszbek, Noemi & Bodrogi, Jozsef & Bidlo, Judit, 2007. "Does therapeutic reference pricing always result in cost-containment?: The Hungarian evidence," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 402-412, March.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Ake Blomqvist & Colin Busby & Don Husereau, 2013. "Capturing Value from Health Technologies in Lean Times," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 396, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.