Evaluating the effectiveness of inter-regional trade and storage in Malawi’s private sector maize markets
AbstractThis paper evaluates the effectiveness of the private sector maize marketing system in Malawi using threshold autoregression models. Two dimensions of maize market performance are evaluated: (1) inter-regional trade and spatial price transmission; and (2) storage and seasonal price relationships. In both cases, threshold autoregression models which account for nonlinearities predicted by economic theory are applied. Results indicate that spatial price transmission and seasonal price patterns in private sector maize markets in Malawi are generally consistent with long-run competitive inter-regional trade and storage behavior, and that in most cases shocks to long-run equilibrium are arbitraged away quickly. This suggests the private sector in Malawi is generally doing a good job of transporting maize from surplus to deficit regions and smoothing maize consumption between harvests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Inter-regional trade; Malawi maize; Market efficiency; Storage; Threshold autoregression;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Campenhout, Bjorn, 2007.
"Modelling trends in food market integration: Method and an application to Tanzanian maize markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 112-127, February.
- van Campenhout, Bjorn, 2005. "Modelling Trends in Food Market Integration: Method and an Application to Tanzanian Maize Markets," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24718, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abdulai, Awudu, 2000. "Spatial price transmission and asymmetry in the Ghanaian maize market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 327-349, December.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P. & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2004.
"Nonlinear dynamics in deviations from the law of one price: a broad-based empirical study,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2002. "Non-Linear Dynamics in Deviations from the Law of One Price: A Broad-Based Empirical Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 3377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Balke-Fomby threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00010, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Research Paper 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bruce L. Gardner & Ram�n L�pez, 1996. "The Inefficiency of Interest-Rate Subsidies in Commodity Price Stabilization," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 508-516.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2000.
"Potential Pitfalls for the Purchasing-Power-Parity Puzzle? Sampling and Specification Biases in Mean-Reversion Tests of the Law of One Price,"
NBER Working Papers
7577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, Alan M, 2001. "Potential Pitfalls for the Purchasing-Power-Parity Puzzle? Sampling and Specification Biases in Mean-Reversion Tests of the Law of One Price," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 473-98, March.
- Dana, Julie & Gilbert, Christopher L. & Shim, Euna, 2006. "Hedging grain price risk in the SADC: Case studies of Malawi and Zambia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 357-371, August.
- Harrigan, Jane, 2003. "U-Turns and Full Circles: Two Decades of Agricultural Reform in Malawi 1981-2000," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 847-863, May.
- Muleta, Asfaw Negassa & Myers, Robert J., 2007.
"AJAE Appendix: Estimating Policy Effects on Spatial Market Efficiency: An Extension to the Parity Bounds Model,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), May.
- Asfaw Negassa & Robert J. Myers, 2007. "Estimating Policy Effects on Spatial Market Efficiency: An Extension to the Parity Bounds Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 338-352.
- Seong, Byeongchan & Mahbub Morshed, A.K.M. & Ahn, Sung K., 2006. "Additional sources of bias in half-life estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 2056-2064, December.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Alderman, Harold, 1992.
"Intercommodity price transmittal : analysis offood markets in Ghana,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
884, The World Bank.
- Alderman, Harold, 1993. "Intercommodity Price Transmittal: Analysis of Food Markets in Ghana," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(1), pages 43-64, February.
- Ng, S., 1995.
"Looking for Evidence of Speculative Stockholding in Commodity Markets,"
Cahiers de recherche
9514, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ng, Serena, 1996. "Looking for evidence of speculative stockholding in commodity markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-3), pages 123-143.
- Ng, S., 1995. "Looking for Evidence of Speculative Stockholding in Commodity Markets," Cahiers de recherche 9514, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Williams,Jeffrey C. & Wright,Brian D., 2005.
"Storage and Commodity Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521023399, April.
- Pinckney, Thomas C., 1993. "Is market liberalization compatible with food security? : Storage, trade and price policies for maize in Southern Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 325-333, August.
- Goletti, Francesco & Babu, Suresh, 1994. "Market liberalization and integration of maize markets in Malawi," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(2-3), December.
- Goletti, Francesco & Babu, Suresh, 1994. "Market liberalization and integration of maize markets in Malawi," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 11(2-3), pages 311-324, December.
- Colin A. Carter & Cesar L. Revoredo Giha, 2007. "The Working Curve and Commodity Storage under Backwardation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), pages 864-872.
- Sitko, Nicholas J. & Jayne, T.S., 2014. "Exploitative Briefcase Businessmen, Parasites, and Other Myths and Legends: Assembly Traders and the Performance of Maize Markets in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 56-67.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.