The price of protein: Review of land use and carbon footprints from life cycle assessments of animal food products and their substitutes
AbstractAnimal husbandry, aquaculture and fishery have major impacts on the environment. In order to identify the range of impacts and the most important factors thereof, as well as to identify what are the main causes of the differences between products, we analysed 52 life cycle assessment studies (LCAs) of animal and vegetal sources of protein. Our analysis was focused only on land requirement and carbon footprints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Protein; Meat; Dairy; Fish; Meat substitutes; Environmental impact; Land use; Carbon footprint; Life cycle assessment (LCA);
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flysjö, Anna & Henriksson, Maria & Cederberg, Christel & Ledgard, Stewart & Englund, Jan-Eric, 2011. "The impact of various parameters on the carbon footprint of milk production in New Zealand and Sweden," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(6), pages 459-469, July.
- Thomassen, M.A. & van Calker, K.J. & Smits, M.C.J. & Iepema, G.L. & de Boer, I.J.M., 2008. "Life cycle assessment of conventional and organic milk production in the Netherlands," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 95-107, March.
- Pelletier, Nathan & Pirog, Rich & Rasmussen, Rebecca, 2010. "Comparative life cycle environmental impacts of three beef production strategies in the Upper Midwestern United States," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(6), pages 380-389, July.
- Haxsen, Gerhard, 2008. "Calculating costs of pig production with the InterPIG network," Arbeitsberichte aus der vTI-AgrarÃ¶konomie 04/2008, Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Vergé, X.P.C. & Dyer, J.A. & Desjardins, R.L. & Worth, D., 2008. "Greenhouse gas emissions from the Canadian beef industry," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 126-134, September.
- Vázquez-Rowe, Ian & Moreira, María Teresa & Feijoo, Gumersindo, 2012. "Environmental assessment of frozen common octopus (Octopus vulgaris) captured by Spanish fishing vessels in the Mauritanian EEZ," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 180-188, January.
- Verge, X.P.C. & Dyer, J.A. & Desjardins, R.L. & Worth, D., 2007. "Greenhouse gas emissions from the Canadian dairy industry in 2001," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 683-693, June.
- Casey, J.W. & Holden, N.M., 2005. "Analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from the average Irish milk production system," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-114, October.
- Ellingsen, H. & Olaussen, J.O. & Utne, I.B., 2009. "Environmental analysis of the Norwegian fishery and aquaculture industry--A preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 479-488, May.
- González, Alejandro D. & Frostell, Björn & Carlsson-Kanyama, Annika, 2011. "Protein efficiency per unit energy and per unit greenhouse gas emissions: Potential contribution of diet choices to climate change mitigation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 562-570, October.
- Davies, R.W.D. & Cripps, S.J. & Nickson, A. & Porter, G., 2009. "Defining and estimating global marine fisheries bycatch," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 661-672, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.