Food health claims – What consumers understand
AbstractIssues pertaining to consumer understanding of food health claims are complex and difficult to disentangle because there is a surprising lack of multidisciplinary research aimed at evaluating how consumers are influenced by factors impacting on the evaluation process. In the EU, current legislation is designed to protect consumers from misleading and false claims but there is much debate about the concept of the ‘average consumer’ referred to in the legislation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Health claims; Regulation; Average consumer; Attitudes; Strength of scientific evidence;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Grunert & Liisa Lähteenmäki & Yasemin Boztug & Emilia Martinsdóttir & Øydis Ueland & Annika Åström & Piritta Lampila, 2009. "Perception of Health Claims Among Nordic Consumers," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 269-287, September.
- Lähteenmäki, Liisa & Lampila, Piritta & Grunert, Klaus & Boztug, Yasemin & Ueland, Øydis & Aström, Annika & Martinsdóttir, Emilia, 2010. "Impact of health-related claims on the perception of other product attributes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 230-239, June.
- Wansink, Brian & Sonka, Steven T. & Hasler, Clare M., 2004. "Front-label health claims: when less is more," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 659-667, December.
- Urbany, Joel E, 1986. " An Experimental Examination of the Economics of Information," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 257-71, September.
- Levin, Irwin P. & Schneider, Sandra L. & Gaeth, Gary J., 1998. "All Frames Are Not Created Equal: A Typology and Critical Analysis of Framing Effects," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 149-188, November.
- Moorman, Christine, 1990. " The Effects of Stimulus and Consumer Characteristics on the Utilization of Nutrition Information," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(3), pages 362-74, December.
- Stephen A. Spiller, 2011. "Opportunity Cost Consideration," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(4), pages 595 - 610.
- Mazzocchi, Mario & Traill, W. Bruce & Shogren, Jason F., 2009. "Fat Economics: Nutrition, Health, and Economic Policy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199213863, September.
- Wilde, Louis L, 1980. "The Economics of Consumer Information Acquisition," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(3), pages S143-58, July.
- Hoch, Stephen J & Ha, Young-Won, 1986. " Consumer Learning: Advertising and the Ambiguity of Product Experience," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 221-33, September.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Gracia, Azucena & Loureiro, Maria & Nayga, Rodolfo Jr., 2007. "Do consumers perceive benefits from the implementation of a EU mandatory nutritional labelling program?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 160-174, April.
- Beales, Howard & Craswell, Richard & Salop, Steven C, 1981. "The Efficient Regulation of Consumer Information," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 491-539, December.
- Teratanavat, Ratapol P. & Hooker, Neal H. & Haugtvedt, Curtis P. & Rucker, Derek D., 2004. "Consumer Understanding And Use Of Health Information On Product Labels: Marketing Implications For Functional Food," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20413, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.