Policy for organic farming: Rationale and concepts
AbstractSince the mid 1980s, organic farming has become the focus of significant attention from policy-makers, consumers, environmentalists and farmers in Europe and state institutions have become increasingly involved in regulating and supporting the organic sector. Reflecting the multiple goals for organic farming and for agricultural policy, a varied and complex range of policy measures have been developed and implemented to support the organic sector. However, balancing societal and consumer/market goals and balancing institutional and private stakeholder interests in the organic sector present particular challenges for policy-making. The key issues of current organic farming policy addressed in this special issue therefore specifically consider the two different dimensions of policy development - the dimension of policies and the dimension of politics. This paper provides an introduction to the special issue by outlining organic farming policy development in the EU, providing the basic concepts of organic farming policies in Europe and introducing the key themes of the papers published in this special issue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Organic agriculture Organic farming policy Agri-environmental policy Common agricultural policy Rural development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daugbjerg, Carsten & Tranter, Richard B. & Holloway, Garth J., 2008. "Organic Farming Policies and the Growth of the Organic Sector in Denmark and the UK: A Comparative Analysis," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44173, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Charalampos Konstantinidis, 2012. "Assessing the Rise of Organic Farming in the European Union: Environmental and Socio-economic Consequences," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2012-01, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Zdeňka Kroupová & Michal Malý, 2010. "Analysis of Agriculture Subsidy Policy Tools - Aplication of Production Function," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(6), pages 774-794.
- Laure Latruffe & Céline Nauges, 2010.
"Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France,"
Working Papers SMART - LERECO
10-17, INRA UMR SMART.
- Latruffe, Laure & Nauges, Céline, 2010. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," TSE Working Papers 10-209, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Latruffe, Laure & Nauges, CÃ©line, 2010. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," LERNA Working Papers 10.23.329, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Laure Latruffe & CÃ©line Nauges, 2014. "Technical efficiency and conversion to organic farming: the case of France," Working Papers 208239, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Mercedes Beltrán-Esteve & Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo & Ernest Reig-Martínez, 2012. "What makes a citrus farmer go organic? Empirical evidence from Spanish citrus farming," Working Papers 1205, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Charalampos Konstantinidis, 2013. "Assessing the Socio-Economic Consequences of the Rise of Organic Farming in the European Union," Working Papers 2013_05, University of Massachusetts Boston, Economics Department.
- repec:mab:wpaper:18 is not listed on IDEAS
- Moschitz, Heidrun & Stolze, Matthias, 2010. "The influence of policy networks on policy output. A comparison of organic farming policy in the Czech Republic and Poland," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 247-255, June.
- Brenes Munoz, T. & Lakner, Sebastian & Brummer, Bernhard, 2012. "Economic growth of farms: An empirical analysis on organic farming," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126756, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.