Collective action for smallholder market access
AbstractThe opportunity for smallholders to raise their incomes increasingly depends on their ability to compete in the market; yet there are many failures in rural markets in developing countries that make it difficult for them to do this. Understanding how collective action can help address the inefficiencies, coordination problems or barriers to market access is particularly important. This paper draws on the case studies in this special issue and on other literature to examine the conceptual issues and empirical evidence on the role of collective action institutions in improving market access for the rural poor. Applying insights from studies of collective action in natural resource management, the paper examines what conditions facilitate effective producer organizations for smallholders' market access, with special attention to the characteristics of user groups, institutional arrangements, types of products (staples, perishables and other commodities), markets (local, domestic and international), and external environment. The paper also identifies policies and interventions that facilitate collective action for market access among smallholders, and examines whether the public sector, private sector and/or civil society is best positioned to provide such interventions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Collective action Smallholder Market access Public and private sectors High-value crops;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poulton, Colin & Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: New Directions for Services, Institutions, and Intermediation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1413-1428, October.
- Bebbington, Anthony, 1996. "Organizations and intensifications: Campesino federations, rural livelihoods and agricultural technology in the Andes and Amazonia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1161-1177, July.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas & Johnson, Michael, 2002. "Reforming agricultural markets in Africa," Food policy statements 38, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rasmussen, Lise Nordvig & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela, 1995. "Local organizations for natural resource management: lessons from theoretical and empirical literature," EPTD discussion papers 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2005.
"Selling at the Farmgate or Traveling to Market,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 717-734.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2004. "Selling at the farm-gate or travelling to market," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-30, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004. "Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Thorp, Rosemary & Stewart, Frances & Heyer, Amrik, 2005. "When and how far is group formation a route out of chronic poverty?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 907-920, June.
- Akwabi-Ameyaw, Kofi, 1997. "Producer cooperative resettlement projects in Zimbabwe: Lessons from a failed agricultural development strategy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 437-456, March.
- Agrawal, Arun, 2001. "Common Property Institutions and Sustainable Governance of Resources," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1649-1672, October.
- Sievers, Merten & Vandenberg, Paul, 2007. "Synergies through Linkages: Who Benefits from Linking Micro-Finance and Business Development Services?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1341-1358, August.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, 05.
- Christina Handschuch & Meike Wollni, 2013. "Traditional food crop marketing in Sub-Saharan Africa: Does gender matter?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 142, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Bhattari, Salil & Lyne, Michael & Martin, Sandra, 2013. "Analysing The Performance Of Two Export-Oriented Spice Chains In Nepal: Taking The Smallholder Perspective," 2013 Conference, August 28-30, 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand 160194, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126659, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lemeilleur, Sylvaine & Codron, Jean-Marie, 2011. "Marketing cooperative vs. commission agent: The Turkish dilemma on the modern fresh fruit and vegetable market," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 272-279, April.
- Briones, Roehlano M., 2013. "The Structure of Agricultural Trade Industry in Developing Countries," Discussion Papers DP 2013-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Latynskiy, Evgeny & Berger, Thomas, 2012. "An Agent-Based Network Approach For Understanding, Analyzing And Supporting Rural Producer Organizations In Agriculture," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137383, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," Discussion Papers 121229, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2013.
"A Theory of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives with Direct Selling,"
1331, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2013. "A Theory of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives with Direct selling," Working Papers halshs-00906894, HAL.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Smallholder Farmers and Collective Action: What Determines the Intensity of Participation?," Discussion Papers 108551, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Smallholder Farmers and Collective Action: What Determines the Intensity of Participation?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 28, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Elisabeth Nindl, 2014. "An empirical assessment of Fairtrade: A perspective for low- and middle-income countries?," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp160, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Bowser, William & Nelson, Carl H., 2012. "Land institutions, investments, and income diversification : Pathways to economic development for Brazilâ€™s quilombo communities," IFPRI discussion papers 1179, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Linking Smallholders to Markets: Determinants and Impacts of Farmer Collective Action in Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1255-1268.
- Magnan, Nicholas & Spielman, David J. & Gulati, Kajal, 2013. "Female social networks and learning about a new technology in eastern Uttar Pradesh, India," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150688, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wollni, Meike & Fischer, Elisabeth, 2012. "Commitment in Collective Marketing Relationships: Evidence from Coffee Cooperatives in Costa Rica," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126884, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Smallholder Farmers and Collective Action: What Determines the Intensity of Participation?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114354, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mujawamariya, Gaudiose & D’Haese, Marijke & Speelman, Stijn, 2013. "Exploring double side-selling in cooperatives, case study of four coffee cooperatives in Rwanda," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 72-83.
- Linda Kleemann, 2012. "Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security in Africa: An Overview," Kiel Working Papers 1812, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Hanf, Jon Henrich & Pieniadz, Agata, 2009. "20 years of transition in the agri-food sector," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(7).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.