Demand for dairy products in the EU
AbstractIn the EU dairy sector, given the remaining high protective tariffs and the quota system, the main factor that drives dairy product market prices is the demand. This paper evaluates the development of demand in the EU and presents estimates of consumption trends and forecasts for the future as well as estimates of elasticity with respect to prices and income in two major EU consumer countries: France and Italy. We use two methods to estimate the development of demand for dairy products, one based on a multi-stage demand system and another based on a single trend equation. The two methods generally lead to the same qualitative results but trend projections are larger using the demand system approach which is based on a shorter data period. This difference is thus partly explained by the fact that high trend projections are not sustainable over a long period. The results show a decreasing consumption of butter and fluid milk and an overall growth in protein and fat consumption. Nevertheless, the increase in fat consumption should be more moderate than the consumption of protein. The results also show that the demand for dairy products is relatively price inelastic but is more sensitive to changes in income (especially for butter and cheese categories). As shown by the use of a partial equilibrium model of dairy markets, the likely impact of the CAP reform strongly depends on the development of demand for dairy products in the EU. More research effort on demand analysis is therefore crucial in order to assess the impact of reforms or trade negotiations more accurately and effectively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
CAP policy Dairy Consumption trend Elasticity;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abigail Tiffin & Richard Tiffin, 1999. "Estimates of Food Demand Elasticities for Great Britain: 1972-1994," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 140-147.
- Manishi Prasad & Peter Wahlqvist & Rich Shikiar & Ya-Chen Tina Shih, 2004. "A," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 22(4), pages 225-244.
- Moro, Daniele & Nardella, Michele & Sckokai, Paolo, 2005. "Regional Distribution of Short-Run, Medium-Run and Long-Run Quota Rents Across EU-15 Milk Producers," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24615, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Beghin, John C. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani E. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Fuller, Frank H. & Hart, Chad E. & Kovacik, Karen & Matthey, Holger & Saak, Alexander E. & Tokgoz, Simla & Chavez, Eddie C. , 2004. "FAPRI 2004 U.S. and World Agricultural Outlook," Staff Reports 32046, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI).
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D. & Green, Richard D., 1994. "Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Zohra Bouamra-Mechemache & Jean-Paul Chavas & Tom Cox & Vincent Réquillart, 2002. "EU Dairy Policy Reform and Future WTO Negotiations: a Spatial Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 233-257.
- Alain Carpentier & Hervé Guyomard, 2001. "Unconditional Elasticities in Two-Stage Demand Systems: An Approximate Solution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 222-229.
- Beghin, John C. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Fuller, Frank H. & Hart, Chad E. & Kovarik, Karen P. & Tokgoz, Simla & Yu, Tun-Hsiang & Wailes, Eric J. & Chavez, Edward & Woma, 2006.
"FAPRI 2006 U.S. And World Agricultural Outlook,"
Staff General Research Papers
12597, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John C. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani E. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Fuller, Frank H. & Hart, Chad E. & Kovarik, Karen & Tokgoz, Simla & Yu, Tun-Hsiang (Edward) & Wailes, Eric J. & Chavez, Eddi, 2006. "FAPRI 2006 U.S. and World Agricultural Outlook," Staff Reports 7319, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI).
- Anastasios Xepapadeas & Hassini Habib, 1995. "An almost ideal demand system with autoregressive disturbances for dairy products in Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(6), pages 169-173.
- Pascal Lavergne & Vincent Réquillart & Michel Simioni, 2001. "Welfare Losses Due to Market Power: Hicksian versus Marshallian Measurement," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 157-165.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Beghin, John C. & Mohanty, Samarendu & Fuller, Frank H. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Kaus, Phillip J. & Fang, Cheng & Hart, Chad E. & Kovarik, Karen & Womack, Abner W. & Young, Robert E, 2000. "FAPRI 2000 U.S. Agricultural Outlook," Staff Reports 32054, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI).
- Moschini, Giancarlo, 1998. "The semiflexible almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 349-364, February.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Beghin, John C. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & de Cara, Stephane & Elobeid, Amani E. & Fang, Cheng & Fuller, Frank H. & Hart, Chad E. & Isik, Murat & Matthey, Holger & Saak, Alexander E. , 2002. "FAPRI 2002 World Agricultural Outlook," Staff Reports 32051, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI).
- Hossain, Ferdaus & Jensen, Helen H. & Snuka, Rota, 2001. "Food Demand Patterns in Latvia: Evidence from a Household Budget Survey. Analysis of Food Consumption in Central and Eastern Europe: Relevance an..," Staff General Research Papers 10532, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1998. "Semiflexible Almost Ideal Demand System, The," Staff General Research Papers 1193, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David L. Edgerton, 1997. "Weak Separability and the Estimation of Elasticities in Multistage Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 62-79.
- Pierani, P & Rizzi, P L, 1991. "An Econometric Analysis of the Olive Oil Market in Italy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 18(1), pages 37-60.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-56, May.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762.
- Klerkx, Laurens & Nettle, Ruth, 2013. "Achievements and challenges of innovation co-production support initiatives in the Australian and Dutch dairy sectors: A comparative study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 74-89.
- Bonnet, Céline & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra, 2014. "Organic label, bargaining power, and profit sharing in the French fluid milk market," TSE Working Papers 14-493, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Xavier Irz, 2010.
"Modeling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data-with an application to Finland,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 293-304, 05.
- Irz, Xavier T., 2009. "Modelling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data – with an application to Finland," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50324, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rosa, Rui & Mili, Samir & Briz, Julian, 2009. "Consumer and Supply Chain Dynamics in the Portuguese Organic Milk Market," 2009 International European Forum, February 15-20, 2009, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 59208, International European Forum on System Dynamics and Innovation in Food Networks.
- Stéphan Marette & Jayson L. Lusk & Jutta Roosen, 2010.
"Welfare Impact of Information with Experiments: The Crucial Role of the Price Elasticity of Demand,"
AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1585-1593.
- Stephan Marette & Jayson L. Lusk & Jutta Roosen, 2010. "Welfare impact of information with experiments: the crucial role of the price elasticity of demand," Working Papers 34709, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Ali-Kein, Hela Hadj & Requillart, Vincent, 2006. "Impact of WTO reforms on the world dairy sector," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21149, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Widenhorn, Andreas & Salhofer, Klaus, 2012. "Price sensitivity within and across retail formats," Congress Papers 124108, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Jogeneel, Roel & Requillart, Vincent, 2008. "Removing EU milk quotas, soft landing versus hard landing," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43656, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Klaus Salhofer & Christoph Tribl & Franz Sinabell, 2012. "Market power in Austrian food retailing: the case of milk products," Empirica, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 109-122, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.