Intertemporal price discovery by market makers: Active versus passive learning
AbstractThis paper examines the role of the market maker in intertemporal price formation in securities market. We argue that the market maker, in performing the critical function of price discovery, may set prices in a dynamic context that would be suboptimal in a single period context in order to learn more from the resulting order flow. Such actions constitute an investment in the production of information. Necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence of such price strategies are developed and several examples are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Intermediation.
Volume (Year): 2 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622875
Other versions of this item:
- Leach, J.C. & Madhavan, A.N., 1990. "Intertemporal Price Discovery By Market Makers: Active Versus Passive Learning," Weiss Center Working Papers 15-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Chris J. Leach & Ananth N. Madhavan, . "Intertemporal Price Discovery by Market Makers: Active versus Passive Learning," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Osler, Carol L. & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2011.
"Price discovery in currency markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1696-1718.
- Osler, Carol & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006. "Price Discovery in Currency Markets," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-351, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Carol Osler & Alexander Mende & Lukas Menkhoff, 2010. "Price Discovery in Currency Markets," Working Papers 03, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Vitale, Paolo, 1998. "Two months in the life of several gilt-edged market makers on the London Stock Exchange," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 299-324, December.
- Angeles de Frutos, M. & Manzano, Carolina, 2005.
"Trade disclosure and price dispersion,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 183-216, May.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G. & Schnitzlein, Charles R., 2004. "Microstructure with multiple assets: an experimental investigation into direct and indirect dealer competition," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-143, February.
- Scalia, Antonio, 1998. "Information transmission and causality in the Italian Treasury bond market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 361-384, October.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Schmidt, Markus & Reitz, Stefan, 2007. "End-user order flow and exchange rate dynamics," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Poshakwale, Sunil & Theobald, Michael, 2004. "Market capitalisation, cross-correlations, the lead/lag structure and microstructure effects in the Indian stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 385-400, October.
- Victoria Saporta & Giorgio Trebeschi & Anne Vila, 1999. "Price formation and transparency on the London Stock Exchange," Bank of England working papers 95, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.