Auction failures and the market for auction rate securities
AbstractThe market for auction rate securities (ARS) made headlines during the second week of February 2008 when auctions at which the bonds' interest rates reset experienced a wave of "failures." Contrary to headlines that attribute the failures to a "frozen" market or investors' "irrationality," we find that (1) even at their height, less than 50% of ARS experienced auction failures, (2) the likelihood of auction failure was directly related to the level of the bonds' "maximum auction rates," (3) the implied market clearing yields of bonds with failed auctions were significantly above their maximum auction rates, and (4) ARS yields were generally higher than yields of various cash equivalent investment alternatives. We infer that investors priced the possibility of auctions failures into ARS yields and rationally declined to bid for bonds for which required market yields exceeded their maximum auction rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 97 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505576
Auction rate securities Auction failures;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bing Han, 2007. "Stochastic Volatilities and Correlations of Bond Yields," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1491-1524, 06.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Francis A. Longstaff, 2001. "The Relative Valuation of Caps and Swaptions: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2067-2109, December.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth Singleton, 2003. "Term Structure Dynamics in Theory and Reality," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 631-678, July.
- Richard Green & Burton Hollifield & Norman Schurhoff, .
"Dealer Intermediation and Price Behavior in the Aftermarket for New Bond Issues,"
GSIA Working Papers
2005-E56, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Green, Richard C. & Hollifield, Burton & Schurhoff, Norman, 2007. "Dealer intermediation and price behavior in the aftermarket for new bond issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 643-682, December.
- Andrew Ang & Vineer Bhansali & Yuhang Xing, 2010.
"Taxes on Tax-Exempt Bonds,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 65(2), pages 565-601, 04.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Analysis of Variable Rate Loan Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 389-403, May.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Kaplin, Andrew & Sun, Steve, 2003.
"An evaluation of multi-factor CIR models using LIBOR, swap rates, and cap and swaption prices,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 113-146.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Andrew Kaplin & Steve Guoqiang Sun, 2001. "An Evaluation of Multi-Factor CIR Models Using LIBOR, Swap Rates, and Cap and Swaption Prices," NBER Working Papers 8682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Skelton, Jeffrey L, 1983. " Relative Risk in Municipal and Corporate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 625-34, May.
- Ramaswamy, Krishna & Sundaresan, Suresh M., 1986. "The valuation of floating-rate instruments : Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 251-272, December.
- Laura E. Kodres & Matthew Pritsker, 2002. "A Rational Expectations Model of Financial Contagion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 769-799, 04.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Trzcinka, Charles A, 1982. " The Pricing of Tax-Exempt Bonds and the Miller Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(4), pages 907-23, September.
- Chris Downing & Frank Zhang, 2004. "Trading Activity and Price Volatility in the Municipal Bond Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 899-931, 04.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2004.
"Financial Intermediaries and Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1023-1061, 07.
- Vikram Nanda & Rajdeep Singh, 2004. "Bond Insurance: What Is Special About Munis?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(5), pages 2253-2280, October.
- Benson, Earl D. & Kidwell, David S. & Koch, Timothy W. & Rogowski, Robert J., 1981. "Systematic Variation in Yield Spreads for Tax-Exempt General Obligation Bonds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 685-702, December.
- Kau, James B, et al, 1993. "Option Theory and Floating-Rate Securities with a Comparison of Adjustable- and Fixed-Rate Mortgages," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(4), pages 595-618, October.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 2002. "Evil Is the Root of All Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 62-66, May.
- Buser, Stephen A. & Hess, Patrick J., 1986. "Empirical determinants of the relative yields on taxable and tax-exempt securities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 335-355, December.
- Driessen, Joost & Klaassen, Pieter & Melenberg, Bertrand, 2003.
"The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 635-672, September.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Klaassen, P. & Melenberg, B., 2000. "The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions," Discussion Paper 2000-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jorion, Philippe & Zhang, Gaiyan, 2007. "Good and bad credit contagion: Evidence from credit default swaps," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 860-883, June.
- Albert S. Kyle, 2001. "Contagion as a Wealth Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(4), pages 1401-1440, 08.
- Vivian Yue & Bin Wei, 2013. "Dynamic Debt Runs and the Market for Variable Rate Demand Obligations," 2013 Meeting Papers 1308, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- repec:eme:qrfmpp:v:3:y:2011:i:2:p:68-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- James Angel & Douglas McCabe, 2013. "Ethical Standards for Stockbrokers: Fiduciary or Suitability?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 115(1), pages 183-193, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.