Public trust, the law, and financial investment
AbstractHow does trust evolve in markets? What is the optimal level of regulation and how does this affect trust formation and economic growth? In a theoretical model, we analyze these questions, given the value of social capital and the potential for growth in the market. When social capital is valuable, regulation and trustfulness are substitutes. In this case, regulation may cause lower aggregate investment and decreased economic growth. When the social capital is less valuable, regulation and trustfulness may be complements. In the paper, we analyze the optimal level of regulation and highlight the novel predictions of the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 92 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505576
Trust Regulation Economic growth;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kandori, Michihiro, 1992.
"Social Norms and Community Enforcement,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Francis Bloch & Garance Genicot, 2005.
"Informal Insurance in Social Networks,"
2005 Meeting Papers
156, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Francis Bloch (GREQAM and Universite de la Mediterranee), Garance Genicot (Georgetown University, and Debraj Ray (New York University and Instituto de Analisis Economico (CSIC)), 2004. "Informal Insurance in Social Networks," Working Papers gueconwpa~04-04-16, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2005.
"Trusting the Stock Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5288, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Knack, Stephen & Keefer, Philip, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-88, November.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
NBER Working Papers
5864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dean Karlan & Markus Mobius & Tanya Rosenblat & Adam Szeidl, 2009.
"Trust and Social Collateral,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1307-1361, August.
- Karlan, Dean & Mobius, Markus & Rosenblat, Tanya & Szeidl, Adam, 2009. "Trust and Social Collateral," Staff General Research Papers 13026, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Szeidl, Adam & Rosenblat, Tanya & Mobius, Markus & Karlan, Dean, 2009. "Trust and Social Collateral," Scholarly Articles 3051620, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Markus Mobius & Adam Szeidl, 2007. "Trust and Social Collateral," NBER Working Papers 13126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Allen, Franklin & Chakrabarti, Rajesh & De, Sankar & Qian, Jun “QJ” & Qian, Meijun, 2012.
"Financing firms in India,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 409-445.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David Laibson & Bruce Sacerdote, 2002. "An Economic Approach to Social Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 437-458, November.
- Dirk Sliwka, 2007.
"Trust as a Signal of a Social Norm and the Hidden Costs of Incentive Schemes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 999-1012, June.
- Sliwka, Dirk, 2006. "Trust as a Signal of a Social Norm and the Hidden Costs of Incentive Schemes," IZA Discussion Papers 2293, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Franklin Allen & Jun Qian & Meijun Qian, 2002.
"Law, Finance, and Economic Growth in China,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Greif, Avner, 1994. "Cultural Beliefs and the Organization of Society: A Historical and Theoretical Reflection on Collectivist and Individualist Societies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 912-50, October.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1993. "Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 453-86, April.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Abreu, Dilip, 1988. "On the Theory of Infinitely Repeated Games with Discounting," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 383-96, March.
- Edward Glaeser & Simon Johnson & Andrei Shleifer, 2001. "Coase Versus The Coasians," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(3), pages 853-899, August.
- Bruce Ian Carlin & Simon Gervais, 2009. "Work Ethic, Employment Contracts, and Firm Value," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(2), pages 785-821, 04.
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- Noe, Thomas H & Rebello, Michael J, 1994. "The Dynamics of Business Ethics and Economic Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 531-47, June.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2010. "Are innovating firms victims or perpetrators ? tax evasion, bribe payments, and the role of external finance in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5389, The World Bank.
- Hans Pitlik & Ludek Kouba, 2014.
"Does social distrust always lead to a stronger support for government intervention?,"
WWWforEurope Policy Paper series
- Pitlik, Hans & Kouba, Ludek, 2014. "Does social distrust always lead to a stronger support for government intervention?," Ratio Working Papers 227, The Ratio Institute.
- Luigi Guiso, 2010.
"A Trust-driven Financial Crisis.Implications for the Future of Financial Markets,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
1006, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2010.
- Luigi Guiso, 2010. "A trust-driven financial crisis. Implications for the future of financial markets," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/07, European University Institute.
- Algan, Yann & Cahuc, Pierre, 2013.
"Trust, Growth and Well-Being: New Evidence and Policy Implications,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9548, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Algan, Yann & Cahuc, Pierre, 2013. "Trust, Growth and Well-being: New Evidence and Policy Implications," IZA Discussion Papers 7464, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Cahuc & Andrei Shleifer & Philippe Aghion & Yann Algan, 2009.
"Regulation and Distrust,"
Sciences Po publications
14648, Sciences Po.
- Kiridaran Kanagaretnam & Stuart Mestelman & Khalid Nainar & Mohamed Shehata, 2009.
"The Impact of Empowering Investors on Trust and Trustworthiness,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2009-16, McMaster University.
- Kanagaretnam, Kiridaran & Mestelman, Stuart & Khalid Nainar, S.M. & Shehata, Mohamed, 2012. "The impact of empowering investors on trust and trustworthiness," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 566-577.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y::i:158:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wahl, Fabian, 2012. "Why it matters what people think: Beliefs, legal origins and the deep roots of trust," FZID Discussion Papers 52-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Bruce I. Carlin & Simon Gervais, 2009. "Legal Protection in Retail Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 14972, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deng, Wen-Shuenn & Lin, Yi-Chen & Gong, Jinguo, 2012. "A smooth coefficient quantile regression approach to the social capital–economic growth nexus," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 185-197.
- Horváth, Roman, 2013.
"Does trust promote growth?,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 777-788.
- Roman Horváth, 2012. "Does Trust Promote Growth?," Working Papers 319, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Roman Horváth, 2012. "Does Trust Promote Growth?," Working Papers IES 2012/09, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2012.
- Francois, Patrick & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2009. "Doux Commerces: Does Market Competition Cause Trust?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruce Ian Carlin & Gustavo Manso, 2009. "Obfuscation, Learning, and the Evolution of Investor Sophistication," NBER Working Papers 14954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.