The American keiretsu and universal banks: Investing, voting and sitting on nonfinancials' corporate boards
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505576
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- João A.C. Santos, 1998. "Banking and commerce: how does the United States compare to other countries?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 14-26.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & João A. C. Santos, 1999.
"Banking and commerce: a liquidity approach,"
9907, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- João A. C. Santos & Joseph G. Haubrich, 1999. "Banking and commerce: a liquidity approach," BIS Working Papers 78, Bank for International Settlements.
- Haubrich, J.G. & Santos, J.A.C., 1999. "Banking and Commerce: A Liquidity Approach," Papers 9907, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Payne, Thomas H. & Millar, James A. & William Glezen, G., 1996. "Fiduciary responsibility and bank-firm relationships: An analysis of shareholder voting by banks," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 75-87, December.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Julie Ann Elston, 1996.
"Banking relationships in Germany: empirical results and policy implications,"
507, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Julie Ann Elston, 1996. "Banking relationships in Germany: empirical results and policy implications," Research Working Paper 96-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1988. "Corporate governance : Voting rights and majority rules," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 203-235, January.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Minton, Bernadette A., 1994. "Appointments of outsiders to Japanese boards: Determinants and implications for managers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 225-258, October.
- James, Christopher, 1995. "When Do Banks Take Equity in Debt Restructurings?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 1209-34.
- Brickley, James A. & Lease, Ronald C. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 1988. "Ownership structure and voting on antitakeover amendments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 267-291, January.
- Flath, David, 1993. "Shareholding in the Keiretsu, Japan's Financial Groups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 249-57, May.
- Prowse, Stephen D., 1990. "Institutional investment patterns and corporate financial behavior in the United States and Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 43-66, September.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Oliver D. Hart, 1987.
"One Share/One Vote and the Market for Corporate Control,"
NBER Working Papers
2347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1988. "One share-one vote and the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 175-202, January.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Oliver D. Hart, 1987. "One Share/One Vote and The Market for Corporate Control," Working papers 440, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jarrow, Robert A. & Leach, J. Chris, 1991. "The Relevance of Fiduciary Conflict-of-Interests in Control versus Issue Proxy Contests," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 533-547, December.
- Berlin, Mitchell & John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony, 1996.
"Bank Equity Stakes in Borrowing Firms and Financial Distress,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 889-919.
- Mitchell Berlin & Kose John & Anthony Saunders, 1995. "Bank equity stakes in borrowing firms and financial distress," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Morck, Randall & Nakamura, Masao & Shivdasani, Anil, 2000. "Banks, Ownership Structure, and Firm Value in Japan," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 539-67, October.
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The main bank system and corporate monitoring and control in Japan," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-422, May.
- Santos, Joao A. C., 1999.
"Bank capital and equity investment regulations,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1095-1120, July.
- Edwards,Jeremy & Fischer,Klaus, 1996. "Banks, Finance and Investment in Germany," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521566087, December.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Harm, Christian, 1992. "The relationship between German banks and large German firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 900, The World Bank.
- John, Kose & John, Teresa A. & Saunders, Anthony, 1994. "Universal banking and firm risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 307-323, January.
- Randall J. Pozdena, 1991. "Why banks need commerce powers," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 18-31.
- Sun Bae Kim, 1992. "Corporate financing through a shareholder bank: lessons from Japan," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 92-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Roe, Mark J., 1990. "Political and legal restraints on ownership and control of public companies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 7-41, September.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990.
"The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:1996:i:may:p:239-255 is not listed on IDEAS
- Randall Morck & Masao Nakamura, 1999. "Banks and Corporate Control in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 319-339, 02.
- Booth, James R. & Deli, Daniel N., 1999. "On executives of financial institutions as outside directors," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 227-250, September.
- Cable, John R, 1985. "Capital Market Information and Industrial Performance: The Role of West German Banks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(377), pages 118-32, March.
- Tumer-Alkan, G., 2008. "Essays on Banking," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3160796, Tilburg University.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Pietro F. Peretto, 2009.
"Credit quantity and credit quality: bank competition and capital accumulation,"
375, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Peretto, Pietro F., 2012. "Credit quantity and credit quality: Bank competition and capital accumulation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 967-998.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Pietro Peretto, 2010. "Credit Quantity and Credit Quality: Bank Competition and Capital Accumulation," Working Papers 10-65, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Tristan Auvray & Olivier Brossard, 2013. "French connection: interlocking directorates and the ownership-control nexus in an insider governance system," Working Papers hal-00842582, HAL.
- Luo, Wei & Zhang, Yi & Zhu, Ning, 2011. "Bank ownership and executive perquisites: New evidence from an emerging market," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 352-370, April.
- Stefania Vitali & James B. Glattfelder & Stefano Battiston, 2011. "The network of global corporate control," Papers 1107.5728, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2011.
- Ferreira, Miguel A. & Matos, Pedro, 2009. "Universal banks and corporate control: evidence from the global syndicated loan market," Working Paper Series 1066, European Central Bank.
- Lin, Xiaochi & Zhang, Yi & Zhu, Ning, 2009. "Does bank ownership increase firm value? Evidence from China," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 720-737, June.
- Rommens A. & Cuyvers L. & Deloof M., 2007. "Interlocking Directorates and Business Groups: Belgian Evidence," Working Papers 2007023, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Lili Xie, 2007. "Universal Banking, Conflicts of Interest and Firm Growth," Working Papers 200703, Ball State University, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.