Financial intermediation as a beliefs-bridge between optimists and pessimists
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 75 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505576
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas Hellmann, 2000.
"Banks as Catalysts for Industrialisation,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp343, Financial Markets Group.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas Hellmann, 2001. "Banks as Catalysts for Industrialization," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 443, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas Hellmann, . "Banks as Catalysts for Industrialization," Working Papers 103, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Da Rin, Marco & Hellmann, Thomas F., 2002. "Banks as Catalysts for Industrialization," Research Papers 1398, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Thakor Anjan V., 1993. "Contemporary Banking Theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 2-50, October.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1999.
"A Theory of Bank Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
7431, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hirshleifer, 2001.
"Investor Psychology and Asset Pricing,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(4), pages 1533-1597, 08.
- Allen, Franklin, 1990. "The market for information and the origin of financial intermediation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-30, March.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul, 1994. " Robust Financial Contracting and the Role of Venture Capitalists," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 371-402, June.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- John Lintner, 1965. "Security Prices, Risk, And Maximal Gains From Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 587-615, December.
- Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 2004. "The Design of Financial Systems: Towards a Synthesis of Function and Structure," NBER Working Papers 10620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1999.
"Diversity of Opinion and Financing of New Technologies,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1-2), pages 68-89, January.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1999. "Diversity of Opinion and Financing of New Technologies," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-30, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Manove, M. & Padilla, A.J., 1997.
"Banking (Conservatively) with Optimists,"
9718, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, .
"Stock markets, banks and economic growth ,"
CERF Discussion Paper Series
95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Ramakrishnan, Ram T S & Thakor, Anjan V, 1984. "Information Reliability and a Theory of Financial Intermediation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 415-32, July.
- Bruce D. Smith & John H. Boyd, 1998.
"The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development,"
Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 519-560.
- John H. Boyd & Bruce D. Smith, 1995. "The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development," Working Papers 542, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1977.
"Incentive Compatability and the Bargaining Problem,"
284, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1979. "Incentive Compatibility and the Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Mitchell, Janet, 2001. "Bad Debts and the Cleaning of Banks' Balance Sheets: An Application to Transition Economies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Esho, Neil & Lam, Yung & Sharpe, Ian G., 2002. "Are maturity and debt type decisions interrelated? Evidence from Australian firms in international capital markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 549-569, November.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Boyd, John & Smith, Bruce, 1996.
"The Coevolution of the Real and Financial Sectors in the Growth Process,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 371-96, May.
- John H. Boyd & Bruce D. Smith, 1996. "The co-evolution of the real and financial sectors in the growth process," Working Papers 541, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lummer, Scott L. & McConnell, John J., 1989. "Further evidence on the bank lending process and the capital-market response to bank loan agreements," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 99-122, November.
- John H. Boyd & Mark Gertler, 1994. "Are banks dead?," The Region, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sep, pages 22-26.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, December.
- McKelvey, Richard D & Page, Talbot, 1986. "Common Knowledge, Consensus, and Aggregate Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 109-27, January.
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva & Eisenschmidt, Jens, 2014. "The effectiveness of non-standard monetary policy in addressing liquidity risk during the financial crisis: The experiences of the Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 107-129.
- Sikandar Hussain & M. Shahid Ebrahim, 2005. "Financial Development and Property Valuation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 24, Society for Computational Economics.
- Song. Fenghua & Thakor, Anjan, 2013. "Notes on financial system development and political intervention," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6350, The World Bank.
- Puri, Manju & Robinson, David T., 2007.
"Optimism and economic choice,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 71-99, October.
- Hyytinen , Ari & Lahtonen, Jukka & Pajarinen, Mika, 2012. "Entrepreneurial optimism and survival," Research Discussion Papers 20/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Ogura, Yoshiaki, 2006. "Learning from a rival bank and lending boom," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 535-555, October.
- Bouwman, Christa H.S., 2014. "Managerial optimism and earnings smoothing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 283-303.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bouwman, Christa H.S., 2013. "How does capital affect bank performance during financial crises?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 146-176.
- Vinogradov, Dmitri, 2012. "Destructive effects of constructive ambiguity in risky times," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1459-1481.
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva & Eisenschmidt, Jens, 2013.
"The effectiveness of the non-standard policy measures during the financial crises: the experiences of the federal reserve and the European Central Bank,"
Working Paper Series
1562, European Central Bank.
- Seth B. Carpenter & Selva Demiralp & Jens Eisenschmidt, 2013. "The effectiveness of the non-standard policy measures during the financial crises: the experiences of the Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lily Fang & Victoria Ivashina & Josh Lerner, 2013. "The Disintermediation of Financial Markets: Direct Investing in Private Equity," NBER Working Papers 19299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2014. "Bank capital and systemic stability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6948, The World Bank.
- Lei, Adrian C.H. & Song, Zhuoyun, 2013. "Liquidity creation and bank capital structure in China," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 188-202.
- Kang, Hyung Cheol & Lee, Dong Wook & Park, Kyung Suh, 2010. "Does the difference in valuation between domestic and foreign investors help explain their distinct holdings of domestic stocks?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2886-2896, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.