Bayes without Bernoulli: Simple Conditions for Probabilistically Sophisticated Choice
AbstractIn 1963, Anscombe and Aumann demonstrated that the introduction of an objective randomizing device into the Savage setting of subjective uncertainty considerably simplified the derivation of subjective probability from a decision maker's preferences over uncertain bets. The purpose of this paper is to present a more general derivation of classical subjective probability in such a framework, which neither assumes nor implies that the individual's risk preferences necessarily conform to the expected utility principle. We argue that the essence of "Bayesian rationality" is the assignment, correct manipulation, and proper updating of subjective event probablities when evaluating and comparing uncertain prospects, regardless of whether attitudes toward risk satisfy the expected utility property.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 67 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Other versions of this item:
- Mark J. Machina & David Schmeidler, 1994. "Bayes Without Bernoulli: Simple Conditions for Probabilistically Sophisticated Choice," Discussion Papers 1088, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heath, Chip & Tversky, Amos, 1991. " Preference and Belief: Ambiguity and Competence in Choice under Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 5-28, January.
- Grether, David M, 1980.
"Bayes Rule as a Descriptive Model: The Representativeness Heuristic,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 537-57, November.
- Grether, David M., . "Bayes Rule as a Descriptive Model: The Representativeness Heuristic," Working Papers 245, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Machina, Mark J, 1987. "Choice under Uncertainty: Problems Solved and Unsolved," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 121-54, Summer.
- Mark J. Machina & David Schmeidler, 1990.
"A More Robust Definition of Subjective Probability,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
306, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Machina, Mark J & Schmeidler, David, 1992. "A More Robust Definition of Subjective Probability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 745-80, July.
- Machina,Mark & Schmeidler,David, 1991. "A more robust definition of subjective probability," Discussion Paper Serie A 365, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- David Schmeidler, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7662, David K. Levine.
- Sugden Robert, 1993. "An Axiomatic Foundation for Regret Theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 159-180, June.
- Machina, Mark J, 1989. "Dynamic Consistency and Non-expected Utility Models of Choice under Uncertainty," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(4), pages 1622-68, December.
- Sugden, Robert, 1991. "Rational Choice: A Survey of Contributions from Economics and Philosophy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 751-85, July.
- Camerer, Colin & Weber, Martin, 1992. " Recent Developments in Modeling Preferences: Uncertainty and Ambiguity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 325-70, October.
- Andrea Capotorti & Giulianella Coletti & Barbara Vantaggi, 2008. "Preferences Representable by a Lower Expectation: Some Characterizations," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 119-146, March.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Andrew Postlewaite & David Schmeidler, 2004.
"Rationality of Belief Or: Why Savage's axioms are neither necessary nor sufficient for rationality, Second Version,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
08-043, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 03 Dec 2008.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Andrew Postlewaite & David Schmeidler, 2004. "Rationality of Belief Or: Why Savage's axioms are neither necessary nor sufficient for rationality, Second Version," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-001, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 03 Jan 2007.
- Sarin, R. & Wakker, P.P., 1996.
"A Single-Stage Approach to Anscombe and Aumann's Expected Utility,"
1996-45, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sarin, Rakesh & Wakker, Peter, 1997. "A Single-Stage Approach to Anscombe and Aumann's Expected Utility," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 399-409, July.
- Cerreia-Vioglio, Simone & Maccheroni, Fabio & Marinacci, Massimo & Montrucchio, Luigi, 2012.
"Probabilistic sophistication, second order stochastic dominance and uncertainty aversion,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 271-283.
- Simone Cerreia-Vioglio & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Luigi Montrucchio, 2010. "Probabilistic Sophistication, Second Order Stochastic Dominance, and Uncertainty Aversion," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 174, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Marciano Siniscalchi, 2003.
"A Behavioral Characterization of Plausible Priors,"
234936000000000064, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Edi Karni, 2009. "A Theory of Bayesian Decision Making," EIEF Working Papers Series 0904, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised May 2009.
- ALLARD, Marie & BRONSARD, Camille & GOURIÉROUX Christian, 2003.
Cahiers de recherche
2003-06, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Edi Karni, 2009. "A Theory of Bayesian Decision Making," Economics Working Paper Archive 550, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Edi Karni, 2005. "A New Approach to Modeling Decision-Making under Uncertainty and Defining Subjective Probabilities," Economics Working Paper Archive 519, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Ghossoub, Mario, 2011. "Towards a Purely Behavioral Definition of Loss Aversion," MPRA Paper 37628, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Mar 2012.
- Marciano Siniscalchi, . "Vector-Adjusted Expected Utility," Working Papers 191, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Sarin, Rakesh & Wakker, Peter P., 2000. "Cumulative dominance and probabilistic sophistication," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 191-196, September.
- Edi Karni, 2011. "A theory of Bayesian decision making with action-dependent subjective probabilities," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 125-146, September.
- Edi Karni, 2007. "A new approach to modeling decision-making under uncertainty," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 225-242, November.
- Machina, Mark J, 2001. "Almost-Objective Uncertainty," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt3ps1k85f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2006:i:37:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edi Karni & Marie-Louise Vierø, 2013. "Probabilistic Sophistication and Reverse Bayesianism," Working Papers 1303, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Klibanoff & Emre Ozdenoren, 2007. "Subjective recursive expected utility," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 49-87, January.
- Skiadas, Costis, 1997. "Subjective Probability under Additive Aggregation of Conditional Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 242-271, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.