Financial integration, entrepreneurial risk and global dynamics
AbstractHow does financial integration impact capital accumulation, current-account dynamics, and cross-country inequality? We investigate this question within a two-country, general-equilibrium, incomplete-markets model that focuses on the importance of idiosyncratic entrepreneurial risk--a risk that introduces, not only a precautionary motive for saving, but also a wedge between the interest rate and the marginal product of capital. Our contribution is to show that this friction provides a simple explanation for the emergence of global imbalances, a resolution to the empirical puzzle that capital often fails to flow from the rich or slow-growing countries to the poor or fast-growing ones, and a set of policy lessons regarding the intertemporal costs and benefits of capital-account liberalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 146 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Financial integration Capital-account liberalization Incomplete markets Idiosyncratic risk Entrepreneurship Current-account deficits Global imbalances;
Other versions of this item:
- Vasia Panousi & George-Marios Angeletos, 2010. "Financial integration, entrepreneurial risk and global dynamics," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-54, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karine Gente & Miguel A. León-Ledesma & Carine Nourry, 2013.
"External Constraints and Endogenous Growth: Why Didn’t Some Countries Benefit from Capital Flows?,"
AMSE Working Papers
1329, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Mar 2013.
- Karine Gente & Miguel A. León-Ledesma & Carine Nourry, 2013. "External Constraints and Endogenous Growth: Why Didn’t Some Countries Benefit From Capital Flows?," Studies in Economics 1304, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Karine Gente & Miguel León-Ledesma & Carine Nourry, 2013. "External Constraints and Endogenous Growth: Why Didn't Some Countries Benefit from Capital Flows?," Working Papers halshs-00822385, HAL.
- Gianluca Benigno & Luca Fornaro, 2012.
"Reserve accumulation, growth and financial crises,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
51506, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Fornaro, Luca, 2012. "Reserve Accumulation, Growth and Financial Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 9224, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianluca Benigno & Luca Fornaro, 2012. "Reserve Accumulation, Growth and Financial Crises," CEP Discussion Papers dp1161, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sara Eugeni, 2013. "An OLG model of global imbalances," Discussion Papers 13/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Jonathan E. Goldberg, 2013. "Credit-crunch dynamics with uninsured investment risk," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-31, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bengui, Julien & Mendoza, Enrique G. & Quadrini, Vincenzo, 2013.
"Capital mobility and international sharing of cyclical risk,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 42-62.
- Julien Bengui & Enrique G. Mendoza & Vincenzo Quadrini, 2012. "Capital Mobility and International Sharing of Cyclical Risk," NBER Working Papers 18372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jürgen von Hagen & Haiping Zhang, 2014. "International Capital Flows in the Model with Limited Commitment and Incomplete Markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 195-224, February.
- Kenza Benhima, 2008.
"A Reappraisal of the Allocation Puzzle through the Portfolio Approach,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2008-27, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Benhima, Kenza, 2013. "A reappraisal of the allocation puzzle through the portfolio approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 331-346.
- Benhima Kenza, 2010. "A Reappraisal of the Allocation Puzzle through the Portfolio Approach," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 10.11, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, revised May 2012.
- Christiane Clemens & Maik Heinemann, 2013.
"The Effects of International Financial Integration in a Model with Heterogeneous Firms and Credit Frictions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4441, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christiane Clemens & Maik Heinemann, 2010. "The Effects of International Financial Integration in a Model with Heterogeneous Firms and Credit Frictions," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_046, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey, 2013.
"External Adjustment, Global Imbalances and Valuation Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
19240, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène, 2013. "External Adjustment, Global Imbalances and Valuation Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 9566, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corbae, Dean & Marimon, Ramon, 2011. "Introduction to Incompleteness and Uncertainty in Economics," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 775-784, May.
- Zheng (Michael) Song & Guiying (Laura) Wu, 2013. "A Structural Estimation on Capital Market Distortions in Chinese Manufacturing," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 1306, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- Damiano Sandri, 2014. "Growth and Capital Flows with Risky Entrepreneurship," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 102-23, July.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Zhang, Haiping, 2014. "Financial development, international capital flows, and aggregate output," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 66-77.
- Jonathan E. Goldberg, 2013. "Credit-crunch dynamics with uninsured investment risk," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-47, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.