Unique solutions for stochastic recursive utilities
AbstractWe study unique and globally attracting solutions of a general nonlinear stochastic equation, widely used in Finance and Macroeconomics and closely related to stochastic Koopmans equations. The equation is specified by a temporal aggregator W and a certainty equivalent operator . The main contribution of the paper is the introduction of the new class of Thompson aggregators. Other contributions of the paper are: (i) a detailed analysis of quasi-arithmetic operators that generalize those of Kreps and Porteus (1978) ; (ii) a clarification of the nature and properties of the stochastic recursive preferences that underlie Koopmans equations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 145 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Recursive utilities Koopmans equations Stochastic recursive utilities;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John Y, 1996.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(2), pages 298-345, April.
- Campbell, John, 1996. "Understanding Risk and Return," Scholarly Articles 3153293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell, 1993. "Understanding Risk and Return," NBER Working Papers 4554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995. "Understanding Risk and Return," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982.
"Optimal Growth with Many Consumers,"
518, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Boud, John III, 1990. "Recursive utility and the Ramsey problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 326-345, April.
- David M Kreps & Evan L Porteus, 1978.
"Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
625018000000000009, David K. Levine.
- Kreps, David M & Porteus, Evan L, 1978. "Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 185-200, January.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-69, July.
- Ozaki, Hiroyuki & Streufert, Peter A., 1996. "Dynamic programming for non-additive stochastic objectives," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 391-442.
- Ma, Chenghu, 1998. "Attitudes toward the timing of resolution of uncertainty and the existence of recursive utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 97-112, September.
- Ma, Chenghu, 1993. "Market Equilibrium with Heterogenous Recursive-Utility-Maximizing Agents," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 243-66, April.
- Le Van, Cuong & Vailakis, Yiannis, 2005.
"Recursive utility and optimal growth with bounded or unbounded returns,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 187-209, August.
- LE VAN, Cuong & VAILAKIS, Yiannis, 2002. "Recursive utility and optimal growth with bounded or unbounded returns," CORE Discussion Papers 2002055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Juan Rincón-Zapatero & Carlos Rodríguez-Palmero, 2007. "Recursive utility with unbounded aggregators," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 381-391, November.
- Ma, Chenghu, 1996. "Market Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Recursive-Utility-Maximizing Agents: Corrigendum," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 567-70, April.
- Larry G. Epstein & Angelo Melino, 1993.
"A Revealed Preference Analysis of Asset Pricing Under Recursive Utility,"
NBER Working Papers
4524, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Epstein, Larry G & Melino, Angelo, 1995. "A Revealed Preference Analysis of Asset Pricing under Recursive Utility," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 597-618, October.
- Montrucchio, Luigi, 1998. "Thompson metric, contraction property and differentiability of policy functions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 449-466, January.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2012. "Risk aversion, risk premia, and the labor margin with generalized recursive preferences," Working Paper Series 2012-17, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Daniele Pennesi, 2013. "Asset Prices in an Ambiguous Economy," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 315, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Jaśkiewicz, Anna & Matkowski, Janusz & Nowak, Andrzej S., 2011. "On Variable Discounting in Dynamic Programming: Applications to Resource Extraction and Other Economic Models," MPRA Paper 31069, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 May 2011.
- Simone Cerreia-Vioglio & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Luigi Montrucchio, 2011. "Classical Subjective Expected Utility," Working Papers 400, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2012. "Recursive Utility in a Markov Environment with Stochastic Growth," Working Papers 2012-002, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Todd Sarver, 2012. "Optimal Reference Points and Anticipation," Discussion Papers 1566, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gaetano Bloise, 2013. "The structure of competitive equilibrium with unsecured debt," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0187, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Kraft, Holger & Seifried, Frank Thomas, 2013. "Stochastic differential utility as the continuous-time limit of recursive utility," SAFE Working Paper Series 17, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.