Unique solutions for stochastic recursive utilities
AbstractWe study unique and globally attracting solutions of a general nonlinear stochastic equation, widely used in Finance and Macroeconomics and closely related to stochastic Koopmans equations. The equation is specified by a temporal aggregator W and a certainty equivalent operator . The main contribution of the paper is the introduction of the new class of Thompson aggregators. Other contributions of the paper are: (i) a detailed analysis of quasi-arithmetic operators that generalize those of Kreps and Porteus (1978) ; (ii) a clarification of the nature and properties of the stochastic recursive preferences that underlie Koopmans equations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 145 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Recursive utilities Koopmans equations Stochastic recursive utilities;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- LE VAN, Cuong & VAILAKIS, Yiannis, 2002.
"Recursive utility and optimal growth with bounded or unbounded returns,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Le Van, Cuong & Vailakis, Yiannis, 2005. "Recursive utility and optimal growth with bounded or unbounded returns," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 187-209, August.
- Ozaki, Hiroyuki & Streufert, Peter A., 1996. "Dynamic programming for non-additive stochastic objectives," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 391-442.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1984.
"Optimal growth with many consumers,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 139-171, February.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David M Kreps & Evan L Porteus, 1978.
"Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
625018000000000009, David K. Levine.
- Kreps, David M & Porteus, Evan L, 1978. "Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 185-200, January.
- Epstein, Larry G & Melino, Angelo, 1995.
"A Revealed Preference Analysis of Asset Pricing under Recursive Utility,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 597-618, October.
- Larry G. Epstein & Angelo Melino, 1993. "A Revealed Preference Analysis of Asset Pricing Under Recursive Utility," NBER Working Papers 4524, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ma, Chenghu, 1998. "Attitudes toward the timing of resolution of uncertainty and the existence of recursive utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 97-112, September.
- Boud, John III, 1990. "Recursive utility and the Ramsey problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 326-345, April.
- Ma, Chenghu, 1996. "Market Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Recursive-Utility-Maximizing Agents: Corrigendum," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 567-70, April.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-69, July.
- Juan Rincón-Zapatero & Carlos Rodríguez-Palmero, 2007.
"Recursive utility with unbounded aggregators,"
Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 381-391, November.
- Rincón-Zapatero, Juan Pablo & Rodríguez-Palmero, C., 2007. "Recursive utility with unbounded aggregators," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5579, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- Montrucchio, Luigi, 1998. "Thompson metric, contraction property and differentiability of policy functions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 449-466, January.
- Simone Cerreia-Vioglio & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Luigi Montrucchio, 2011. "Classical Subjective Expected Utility," Working Papers 400, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2012. "Recursive Utility in a Markov Environment with Stochastic Growth," Working Papers 2012-002, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Todd Sarver, 2012. "Optimal Reference Points and Anticipation," Discussion Papers 1566, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jaśkiewicz, Anna & Matkowski, Janusz & Nowak, Andrzej S., 2011. "On Variable Discounting in Dynamic Programming: Applications to Resource Extraction and Other Economic Models," MPRA Paper 31069, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 May 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.