AbstractWe develop the implications of the stock-flow matching model for unemployment, vacancies, and worker flows. Workers and jobs are heterogeneous, so most worker-job pairs cannot profitably match, leading to the coexistence of unemployment and vacancies. Productivity shocks cause fluctuations in the number of jobs, which in turn cause fluctuations in other labor market variables. We derive exact expressions for employment and for worker transition rates in a finite economy and analyze their limiting behavior in a large economy. A calibrated version of the model is consistent with the observed co-movement and volatility of labor market variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 145 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Unemployment Vacancies Worker flows Aggregation Business cycles Labor market Beveridge curve Matching function;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carrillo-Tudela, Carlos & Visschers, Ludo, 2013.
"Unemployment and Endogenous Reallocation over the Business Cycle,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7124, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carrillo-Tudela, Carlos & Visschers, Ludo, 2012. "Unemployment and Endogenous Reallocation over the Business Cycle," MPRA Paper 43702, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos Carrillo-Tudela & Ludo Visschers, 2013. "Unemployment and Endogenous Reallocation over the Business Cycle," CESifo Working Paper Series 4079, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carlos Carrillo-Tudela & Ludo Visschers, 2013. "Unemployment and endogenous reallocation over the business cycle," Economics Working Papers we1302, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Ludo Visschers & Carlos Carrillo-Tudela, 2011. "Unemployment and Endogenous Reallocation over the Business Cycle," 2011 Meeting Papers 1101, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Carlos Carrillo-Tudela, 2012. "Unemployment and Endogenous Reallocation over the Business Cycle," 2012 Meeting Papers 1045, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Carlos Usabiaga & Fernando Núñez & Pablo Álvarez de Toledo, 2013. "Segmentación del mercado de trabajo, clusters, movilidad y duración de desempleo con datos individuales," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2013/02, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Álvarez de Toledo, Pablo & Núñez, Fernando & Usabiaga, Carlos, 2013. "Labour Market Segmentation, Clusters, Mobility and Unemployment Duration with Individual Microdata," MPRA Paper 46003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.