Von Neumann-Morgenstern stable sets in matching problems
AbstractThe following properties of the core of a one-to-one matching problem are well-known: (i) the core is non-empty; (ii) the core is a lattice; and (iii) the set of unmatched agents is identical for any two matchings belonging to the core. The literature on two-sided matching focuses almost exclusively on the core and studies extensively its properties. Our main result is the following characterization of (von Neumann-Morgenstern) stable sets in one-to-one matching problems. We show that a set of matchings is a stable set of a one-to-one matching problem only if it is a maximal set satisfying the following properties: (a) the core is a subset of the set; (b) the set is a lattice; and (c) the set of unmatched agents is identical for any two matchings belonging to the set. Furthermore, a set is a stable set if it is the unique maximal set satisfying properties (a), (b), and (c). We also show that our main result does not extend from one-to-one matching problems to many-to-one matching problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 134 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Other versions of this item:
- EHLERS, Lars, 2005. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern Stable Sets in Matching Problems," Cahiers de recherche 12-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- EHLERS, Lars, 2005. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern Stable Sets in Matching Problems," Cahiers de recherche 2005-11, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
- J44 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Professional Labor Markets and Occupations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, June.
- Peleg, B, 1986. "On the Reduced Game Property and Its Converse," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 187-200.
- Florian M. Biermann, 2011.
"A Measure to compare Matchings in Marriage Markets,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp575, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Florian M. Biermann, 2011. "A Measure to compare Matchings in Marriage Markets," Working Papers 005-11, International School of Economics at TSU, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia.
- Florian M. Biermann, 2011. "A Measure to Compare Matchings in Marriage Markets," Working Papers 2011.41, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- MAULEON, Ana & MOLIS, Elena & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent & VERGOTE, Wouter, 2011. "Absolutely stable roommate problems," CORE Discussion Papers 2011029, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Otto, Philipp E. & Bolle, Friedel, 2009. "Small numbers matching markets: Unstable and inefficient due to over-competition?," Discussion Papers 270, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Shao Chin Sung, 2011. "Size Monotonicity and Stability of the Core in Hedonic Games," Working Papers 2011.52, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bettina-Elisabeth Klaus & Flip Klijn & Markus Walzl, 2009.
"Farsighted Stability for Roommate Markets,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
09-135, Harvard Business School.
- Philipp Otto & Friedel Bolle, 2011. "Matching markets with price bargaining," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 322-348, September.
- Toshiyuki Hirai, 2008. "von Neumann–Morgenstern stable sets of income tax rates in public good economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 81-98, October.
- Vannetelbosch, Vincent J. & Mauleon, Ana & Vergote, Wouter, 2011.
"Von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching,"
Econometric Society, vol. 6(3), September.
- Vincent Vannetelbosch & Ana Mauleon & Wouter Vergote, 2008. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern Farsightedly Stable Sets in Two-Sided Matching," Working Papers 2008.29, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Mauleon, Ana, 2011. "von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/87510, Université catholique de Louvain.
- MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent & VERGOTE, Wouter, 2008. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching," CORE Discussion Papers 2008016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ana, MAULEON & Vincent, VANNETELBOSCH & Wouter, VERGOTE, 2008. "Von Neuman-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2008013, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Larrea Jaurrieta, María Concepción & Iñarra García, María Elena & Molis Bañales, Elena, 2007.
"The Stability of the Roommate Problem Revisited,"
2007-30, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Mauleon, Ana, 2012. "Dominance Invariant Roommate Problems," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.3/121969, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Marina Núñez & Carles Rafels, 2009. "Von Neumann–Morgenstern stable-set solutions in the assignment market," Working Papers 412, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Weese, Eric, 2013. "Political Mergers as Coalition Formation: An Analysis of the Heisei Municipal Amalgamations," Working Papers 113, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Eric Weese, 2013. "Political Mergers as Coalition Formation: An Analysis of the Heisei Municipal Amalgamations," Working Papers 1022, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.