Economic inefficiency and environmental impact: An application to aquaculture production
AbstractIn industries characterized by frequent innovation and high productivity growth, substantial variation in produced quantity and input use may occur, leading to increased costs. An effect that has received little attention is that inefficiency can exacerbate environmental impacts. This effect is particularly important if environmentally damaging inputs are overused. In addition to increasing firms' costs, such inefficiency can also increase the environmental impact of the firm's activity. This makes the degree of inefficiency in an industry an issue for environmental regulators. In this paper, we estimate technical and allocative efficiency for a sample of Norwegian salmon farmers. Our results show that both technical and allocative inefficiency on average are significant in explaining the level and variation in farm costs, and that the main environmental impact due to inefficiency from the Norwegian salmon aquaculture industry has its origin in technical inefficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
Volume (Year): 58 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622870
Inefficiency Environmental impact Aquaculture;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Primont, Daniel, 2002. "Stochastic estimation of firm technology, inefficiency, and productivity growth using shadow cost and distance functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 203-225, June.
- Anderson, James L., 2002. "Aquaculture And The Future: Why Fisheries Economists Should Care," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(2).
- Tveteras, Ragnar, 2002. "Industrial Agglomeration And Production Costs In Norwegian Salmon Aquaculture," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(1).
- Ragnar Tveteras & George E. Battese, 2006. "Agglomeration Externalities, Productivity, And Technical Inefficiency," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 605-625.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1997. "Modeling allocative inefficiency in a translog cost function and cost share equations: An exact relationship," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 351-356.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Guttormsen, Atle G., 2002. "Input Factor Substitutability In Salmon Aquaculture," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(2).
- Tveteras, Sigbjorn, 2002. "Norwegian Salmon Aquaculture And Sustainability: The Relationship Between Environmental Quality And Industry Growth," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(2).
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "Specification and Estimation of Production Risk, Risk Preferences and Technical Efficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 8-22.
- Salvanes, Kjell Gunnar, 1989. "The Structure of the Norwegian Fish Farming Industry: An Empirical Analysis of Economies of Scale and Substitution Possibilities," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 6(4).
- Asche, Frank, 1997. "Trade Disputes And Productivity Gains: The Curse Of Farmed Salmon Production?," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 12(1).
- T. Bjørndal & K. G. Salvanes, 1995. "Gains From Deregulation? An Empirical Test For Efficiency Gains In The Norwegian Fish Farming Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 113-126.
- Asche, Frank & Guttormsen, Atle G., 2001. "Patterns In The Relative Price For Different Sizes Of Farmed Fish," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 16(3).
- Blackorby, Charles & Russell, R Robert, 1989. "Will the Real Elasticity of Substitution Please Stand Up? (A Comparison of the Allen/Uzawa and Morishima Elasticities)," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 882-88, September.
- Kopp, Raymond J. & Diewert, W. Erwin, 1982. "The decomposition of frontier cost function deviations into measures of technical and allocative efficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 319-331, August.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1997. "Temporal patterns of technical efficiency: Results from competing models," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 597-616, August.
- Ali, Sarah & McCann, Laura M.J. & Allspach, Jessica, 2012. "Manure Transfers in the Midwest and Factors Affecting Adoption of Manure Testing," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(04), November.
- repec:ags:mareec:133325 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:133333 is not listed on IDEAS
- Larsen, Thomas A. & Asche, Frank, 2011. "Contracts in the Salmon Aquaculture Industry: An Analysis of Norwegian Salmon Exports," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(2).
- repec:ags:mareec:133346 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:133340 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:133327 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.